Decommissioning SQl 2005 server

• Hi,

We’ve migrated databases from SQL 2005 to SQL 2012 and we want to decommission the SQL 2005 Server instance.

SQL 2005 server is active passive cluster.

Please advise on the steps for decommissioning SQL 2005 server?

Thanks in advance

• whenever i do a SQL consolidation, i actually stop the SQL Service on the old machine afterwards, and see who complains that they cannot connect anymore, so I can then redirect them to the new server/database.

it's especially important to check job logs and event logs to see if there were application/jobs/processes that were connecting that you did not find in your initial investigation.

you might also need to check if any file shares are being accessed by processes too.

As the DBA, I'd typically be one step removed from actually shutting down the server/renaming/retasking, but at that point, as I'm just the master of the SQL services and ETL tasks to and from that old machine, but

After fixing any processes that were connecting or touching shares, i'd consider shutting down the server.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hi All,

I want to migrate data from SQL server 2005 to Company owned database.

I created csv files but some columns have special characters and it causes non alignment in the columns thereby changing all the values.

I was thinking of directly transfer whole SSQL server 2005 database to our private database. Can it be done? how?

Or

Is there any other way I can keep the values in the column intact?

Pls advice.

• Backup the DB on 2005, copy the backup to the 2012 server, restore it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • sayli 5771 (1/10/2017)

I was thinking of directly transfer whole SSQL server 2005 database to our private database. Can it be done? how?

That's going to depend on what your private database looks like. Does it already have a structure (tables, views, stored procedures etc)? How similar is that structure to the SQL Server 2005 database? Does it already have data in it? What referential integrity is in place? Do you want to transfer just data, or views, stored procedures and other objects as well? If the structures of the two databases are similar and there is no duplicated data between them, it may be a fairly simple task. Otherwise, you could have a significant data conversion or cleansing operation on your hands.

John

• sayli 5771 (1/10/2017)

Hi All,

I want to migrate data from SQL server 2005 to Company owned database.

I created csv files but some columns have special characters and it causes non alignment in the columns thereby changing all the values.

Or

Is there any other way I can keep the values in the column intact?

Pls advice.

Please don't ask a question in an existing thread. Create a new thread.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply