Declare Variable

• This isn't a "nice and simple" or "easy one" at all. Although the explanation is wrong the question illustrates a very subtle nuance with the way scripts are run. Logically we'd expect to see an error because the second DECLARE looks like it's never executed. The reason why we don't is not at all obvious.

• Richard Warr (9/16/2013)

This isn't a "nice and simple" or "easy one" at all. Although the explanation is wrong the question illustrates a very subtle nuance with the way scripts are run. Logically we'd expect to see an error because the second DECLARE looks like it's never executed. The reason why we don't is not at all obvious.

Exactly my view, might be simple if you are aware of this otherwise it's not at all.

• Thanx for the question, its good to refresh memory.:-)

Neeraj Prasad Sharma
    Sql Server Tutorials

• Koen Verbeeck (9/15/2013)

The question itself is great, however the explanation is lacking.

There's no reference, and the explanation itself is incorrect.

There's no variable that is "reset".

The DECLARE is not ignored, it is interpreted by the parser/optimizer/interpreter/"whatever relevant part of the process" as if was at the start of the batch, instead of inside a IF-ELSE construct.

I agree with Koen - good question but the answer is lacking in detail.

• Something to wake me up (outside the morning cup of joe).

Thanks!

• Hi,

Just wondered..

declare @j-2 statement is inside the if block.

in this scenario sql server have display the error message stating not declared. But how it is ignoring.

Please explain..

• Thanks!

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Richard Warr (9/16/2013)

This isn't a "nice and simple" or "easy one" at all. Although the explanation is wrong the question illustrates a very subtle nuance with the way scripts are run. Logically we'd expect to see an error because the second DECLARE looks like it's never executed. The reason why we don't is not at all obvious.

It's an easy question because if my memory serves me right, this question has already been asked before. 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• There's not reference as the author didn't provide one and I couldn't find one. It's a bit of a hole in the SQL documentation and the way the language works.

If someone has a good explanation that makes sense, I'm happy to change it. As I read it, the "then" portion is never executed, so the variable is not reset. IIRC, the DECLARE essentially resets the value to null each time without an error.

The DECLARE is not ignored, it is interpreted by the parser/optimizer/interpreter/"whatever relevant part of the process" as if was at the start of the batch, instead of inside a IF-ELSE construct.

Thanks for the proper explanation Koen 🙂

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• The scope of a variable is the range of Transact-SQL statements that can reference the variable. The scope of a variable lasts from the point it is declared until the end of the batch or stored procedure in which it is declared.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187953(v=sql.105).aspx

It is a good question and the explanation is indeed incorect. However, so is your correction: if the declaration were treated as if it were at the start of the batch, its scope would start at the beginning of the batch; but it doesn't; the variable is in scope at every point in the batch's text after the declaration, and at no point in or before the declaration. You can see this by putting "set @j-2=9" anywhere in the batch before the declaration and watching the error, which demonstrates that the variable is out of scope before the declaration, or - in versions of SQL Server that allow declarations to include initialisation - make the declaration read "declare @j-2 int = coalesce(@j,9)" which generates the same error, demonstrating that the variables scope begins after the delare statement, not inside it.

Tom

• Good... so rather than googling myself to death trying to come up with the correct term.

I believe it's because of the IF/THEN that we see this.

SQL Processes both branches of the IF/THEN statement during parsing/etc and then during execution it determines which plan to use. I'm totally guessing here, but it would appear that variable declarations are considered part of the if/then block not a result of execution of it. So the IF/THEN is actually part of the creation of the variable, and such, when the IF/THEN finishes we have the variable.

It would explain why this generates an error, essentially the DECLARE statements are part of the IF/THEN block and the declares become available after it completes.

DECLARE @i INT = 1

IF @i = 2

DECLARE @j-2 INT = 3

ELSE

DECLARE @j-2 FLOAT = 3.1415

Msg 134, Level 15, State 1, Line 7

The variable name '@j' has already been declared. Variable names must be unique within a query batch or stored procedure.

This seems to happen because until the runtime engine gets to the IF comparison, both paths are considered valid, and when it finishes those resources become available?

In reality this is a big shrug for me, it's one of those things I've seen happen for years... and it's confused developers and just caused me to just ask them to declare all the variables they need at the beginning of their stored procs.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• kevin.l.williams (9/16/2013)

The scope of a variable is the range of Transact-SQL statements that can reference the variable. The scope of a variable lasts from the point it is declared until the end of the batch or stored procedure in which it is declared.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187953(v=sql.105).aspx

Not sure this is a good explanation. The "then" clause is in scope with the variable, but doesn't cause a parser error. I suspect this would be an executable error, but not sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply