Debugger

• I am using SQL Server 2008 R2 and am a newbie. I tried using the debugging icon and it came back saying "Failed to start debugger. The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'sp_enable_sql_debug', database mssqlsystemrecource', schema 'sys'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error:229)

I spoke with the person whose position I am replacing and who had much more SQL experience than me and asked her if she had the same problem. She said that she never used it so she wasn't sure.

So, my question is whether I should bother trying to get the debugger working and if so how to go about doing that.

It seems like it would probably be a good thing to have but the fact that she never used it makes me wonder.

Any opinions/advice?

Jon

• There are many reasons why the debugger may not start for you. The most common one is that your Server Login is not in the sysadmin Fixed Server Role. Do you know if you are in the sysadmin Role? You can check with this query:

IF IS_SRVROLEMEMBER('sysadmin') = 1

BEGIN;

PRINT 'You are a sysadmin.';

END;

ELSE

BEGIN;

PRINT 'You are not a sysadmin.';

END;

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• I ran your script and it tells me that I am not a sysadmin.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply