Dealing with multiple units of measure

• I have a database that some areas want to use emglish measurments and some want metric.

How would you implement this.

A: Have everything stored in one system

and have views converting to the other,

B: Have a field with the unit system beside it. and convert as needed

C: have both using calculated fields

D: anyother ideas

• I don't have enough information to give you a definitive suggestion, but perhaps create a units table and a conversions table and then have columns for both measurement and unit wherever the measurements are stored. I guess that's your choice B.

This has advantages over your other options:

• Data can easily be consolidated across areas
    • The information on how the data was entered is available
    • Either or both systems can be supported within any database

If you need all data within an area to be entered in only one system, then use a default constraint and don't insert or update the Unit columns.

--Jonathan

--Jonathan

• I would definitely stick to storing all data in a single unit.

You could use views to convert stuff. But then again, I believe that displaying a value in a certain unit is a client thing and should not be handled by the server.

• Just reread your post. If you are talking about 'areas', you might need to store different units.

E.g. a table about volumes in gallons and one about lengths in millimeters.

Any governance laws to obey by? If I'm thinking about banking transactions, this won't hold. It is a regulatory requirement here that the amount is stored in the currency it was entered. So we do have some tables with different 'units' in there ($, €, £, ...).

Another issue could be accuracy, since any conversion sooner or later will yield a (small) difference.

• I personaly am leaning towards A. Which is similar to letting the client handle (since I will be writing the client).

There are no goverment rules in this application.

Yes there will be different units of measeure volume, length, but i am specificly asking about diffrent systems of measure SI, English. for the same length.

I figure in the client there will be an option for using one system or the other. That basicly just toggles which views and sp's get used.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply