Deadlocking dilemma

• Suddenly since last 2 weeks , deadlocks have increased a lot in one of my instance but mostly it is because of one delete procedure which is running . How can i troubleshoot more about it ? #SQL2005

• Probably the trace flag route - but this should help (From Bart Duncan)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bartd/archive/2006/09/09/deadlock-troubleshooting_2c00_-part-1.aspx

• You're posting in the 2008 forum with a 2005 question.

If you were in 2008 I could tell you to look at the system_health extended event session which captures deadlock information. You'd have it available. But, you're in 2005. So, if you haven't been capturing deadlocks using traceflag 1222, then you need to enable that in order to start capturing the deadlock graphs.

Just remember that deadlocks are fundamentally a performance issue. If your queries are running fast, you won't see deadlocks. Make sure that queries access tables in the same order for updating. Other than that, capture the deadlock graph to see which queries and which statements are involved in the deadlock. Then you have to figure out why they're deadlocking.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply