DDL Triggers

• Hi All

I have created DDL trigger on my SQL 2008 R2 SQL instances, this are database level triggers to capture changed that are been made on the objects, information has been stored on a separate database on a table.

When I created my trigger I am finding a statement which enables and then disables the trigger as you can see on the trigger below, is this the normal behaviour, or am I missing something obvious

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TRIGGER [DDLTrg] ON Database -- Create Database DDL Trigger

FOR DDL_DATABASE_LEVEL_EVENTS -- Trigger will raise when creating a Table

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @xmlEventData XML

-- Capture the event data that is created

SET @xmlEventData = eventdata()

INSERT INTO DBTest.dbo.DBLOG

(EventTime,EventType,ServerName,LoginName,DatabaseName,SchemaName,ObjectType,ObjectName,CommandText,SPID)

SELECT REPLACE(CONVERT(VARCHAR(50), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/PostTime)')),'T', ' ') ,

CONVERT(VARCHAR(max), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/EventType)')),

CONVERT(VARCHAR(max), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/ServerName)')),

CONVERT(VARCHAR(max), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/LoginName)')),

CONVERT(VARCHAR(max), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/DatabaseName)')),

CONVERT(VARCHAR(max), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/SchemaName)')),

CONVERT(VARCHAR(max), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/ObjectType)')),

CONVERT(VARCHAR(max), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/ObjectName)')),

CONVERT(varchar(max), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/TSQLCommand/CommandText)')) ,

CONVERT(VARCHAR(max), @xmlEventData.query('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/SPID)'))

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS OFF

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

GO

DISABLE TRIGGER [DDLTrg] ON DATABASE

GO

Enable TRIGGER [DDLTrg] ON DATABASE

Thanks in Advance for all your help

Cheers 🙂

• It's normal for the "script as" on DDL triggers.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• you are missing Go.

[font="Tahoma"]
    --SQLFRNDZ[/url]
    [/font]

• pavan_srirangam (11/8/2010)

you are missing Go.

No. There are no missing "go" separators in there.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks Guys. Thanks a lot for clearing my doubts

Cheers

🙂

• Don't just rely on the ddl trigger taking for granted it is active.

Set up a sqlserver event monitoring, so you detect when the trigger is being disabled ("disable trigger" currently is not a ddl event).

We noticed our devs using VS2010 being able to disable ddl triggers - because they are dbo but are only alowed to create and modify sprocs and functions -

Now we've setup this event monitoring which re-enables our ddl triggers (specifically by name), unless the executor is sysadmin member.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• That is a good hint mate, thanks, I dint think through to that extent 🙂 .

Cheers 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply