DBO_DDLADMIN Role

• I am currently experiencing some problems using the database role of dbo_ddladmin in SQL2K.

I am adding an NT user group/ad group to the ddladmin role and the users are telling not only can they not add new objects they can't even do a simple select statement.

I am not too familiar with SQL2K but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if there are any suggestions on what I should be looking at.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joanne

• Do you mean the db_ddladmin role?

If that's the role, they can create objects. If they didn't create the object with a different owner, they'll be able to select against the tables they created. However, this role does not give them the ability to query just any object in the database.

On the other hand, if you mean dbo_ddladmin, that would have to be a user-defined role. As a result, it only has the permissions that has been granted to it. You can find out what those are by executing the following:

EXEC sp_helprotect @username = 'dbo_ddladmin'

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I think there is a bug when you assign db_ddladmin permissions to an NT group and  try to create objects from enterprise manager. Only some of our developers ran into this and i couldn't find the reason. The issue is that when you create an object SQL server looks for a user in sysusers to specify the object owner. It should create an alias of the user but somehow it is not getting created.

Try this work around

Ask the users to Connect to the database using query analyzer and create  a test object and drop it. this will create an alias and you will now be able to create objects from enterprise manager. You have to do this only the first time you connect to enterprise manager.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply