DBCC updateUsage

• I have a sql serever 2005 database that has a maintainance plan to do integration check.

It has an error message: The In-row data RSVD page count for object "V420_XYF_LOGS", index ID 0, partition ID 62231571398656, alloc unit ID 62231571398656 (type In-row data) is incorrect. Run DBCC UPDATEUSAGE.

I know this database is upgraded from earlier sql 2000 to sql 2005.

Is it safe to run DBCC UPDATEUSAGE on line in the middle of the day?

Thanks

• Rather run it during a maintenance window. That error's not critical, it doesn't have to be fixed immediately.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I'd go 1 step further. I'd run checkdb as soon as possible.

There are errors missed in 2000 that are detected in 2005.

Make sure you have a valid backup as well (restore on test server and run checkdb just to be sure your db is still fine).

• GilaMonster (2/14/2011)

Rather run it during a maintenance window. That error's not critical, it doesn't have to be fixed immediately.

Ok then, what she said (she's much better than I at this).

But I'd still run checkdb TODAY on your latest backup.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (2/14/2011)

If that was the only error that the integrity check maintenance task picked up, then there's no need. That task is checkDB, it doesn't stop at the first error.

If there were other errors, then the advice may change based on what they are.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you all.

I did run a dbcc checkdb and it is the only error:

The In-row data RSVD page count for object "V420_XYF_LOGS", index ID 0, partition ID 62231571398656, alloc unit ID 62231571398656 (type In-row data) is incorrect. Run DBCC UPDATEUSAGE.

In order for the error not shown again as a failed job, I will probably schedule a job to run this

DBCC UPDATEUSAGE.

tonight.

Let me know if this is Not need to be done.

Thanks

• GilaMonster (2/14/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (2/14/2011)

If that was the only error that the integrity check maintenance task picked up, then there's no need. That task is checkDB, it doesn't stop at the first error.

If there were other errors, then the advice may change based on what they are.

Not enough coffee, obviously.

Thanks for the correction :w00t:.

• As this database has been upgraded from SQL2000 run DBCC CHECKDB with DATA_PURITY if you have not already done so (during next quite period yada yada :-))

After that run checkdb will run with that option as default. See BOL as to the reason why.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thank you, will do

• george sibbald (2/14/2011)

As this database has been upgraded from SQL2000 run DBCC CHECKDB with DATA_PURITY if you have not already done so (during next quite period yada yada :-))

Interesting. Either I was unaware of that or I forgot about that. Thanks, George.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• With my memory I am in the unfortunate position of being able to truthfully claim to have forgotten more about SQL than I actually know 🙂

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply