DBCC SHOWCONTIG Problem

• Can someone please help me with a Stored Procedure problem. 

One of our stored procedures is failing because one of the tables in database  has quotes in its name, ie.'FAC treaties$'

I've pulled out the bit of code that is failing...

EXEC ('DBCC SHOWCONTIG (''[' + @TableSchema +'].['+ @TableName + ']'') WITH ALL_INDEXES, TABLERESULTS, NO_INFOMSGS')

I tried the following but can't get this to work.

set quoted_identifier on

EXEC ('DBCC SHOWCONTIG ("'FAC treaties$'") WITH ALL_INDEXES, TABLERESULTS, NO_INFOMSGS')

EXEC ('DBCC SHOWCONTIG (['FAC treaties$']) WITH ALL_INDEXES, TABLERESULTS, NO_INFOMSGS')

set quoted_identifier off

EXEC ('DBCC SHOWCONTIG ("'FAC treaties$'") WITH ALL_INDEXES, TABLERESULTS, NO_INFOMSGS')

EXEC ('DBCC SHOWCONTIG (['FAC treaties$']) WITH ALL_INDEXES, TABLERESULTS, NO_INFOMSGS')

The error is :

Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 1

Line 1: Incorrect syntax near 'FAC'.

The DBCC command on its own without being inside EXEC works fine either way :

DBCC SHOWCONTIG ("'FAC treaties$'") WITH ALL_INDEXES, TABLERESULTS, NO_INFOMSGS

DBCC SHOWCONTIG (['FAC treaties$']) WITH ALL_INDEXES, TABLERESULTS, NO_INFOMSGS

Any ideas ? Please

• Try using dynamic sql:

DECLARE @sql VarChar(100)
    DECLARE @tblName VarChar(15)
    SET @tblName = '["FAC Treaties$"]'
    SET @sql = 'DBCC SHOWCONTIG (' + @tblName + ') WITH ALL_INDEXES, TABLERESULTS, NO_INFOMSGS'
    EXEC(@sql)

why does the db have tables with single quotes in their names ?!?!

Could you please share the reasoning behind this naming convention ?!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Thanks for your reply Sushila,
    I tried your sugggestions two ways but can't get it to work (details below).
    As for the naming convention. Unfortunately the tables are created within an application and we have no control over what they call the objects. so we end up with spaces, single quotes, etc   Its only when our stored procedures fail and I delve in deep that I pick it up

set quoted_identifier off

SET @tblName = "'FAC Treaties$'"

SET @sql = 'DBCC SHOWCONTIG (' + @tblName + ') WITH ALL_INDEXES, TABLERESULTS, NO_INFOMSGS'

EXEC(@sql)

Server: Msg 2501, Level 16, State 45, Line 1

Could not find a table or object named 'FAC Treaties$'. Check sysobjects.

set quoted_identifier on

SET @tblName = "'FAC Treaties$'"

EXEC(@sql)

Server: Msg 207, Level 16, State 3, Line 4

Invalid column name ''FAC Treaties$''.

• How about using the tblName variable the way it is in my example and then running it - what does that get you ?!?!

SET @tblName = '["FAC Treaties$"]'

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• I will bet 25c on:

EXEC ('DBCC SHOWCONTIG ([''FAC treaties$'']) WITH ALL_INDEXES, TABLERESULTS, NO_INFOMSGS')

(those are two single quotes, not double quotes)

• yeah I did that (forgot to copy that in my earlier reply). I got a whole bunch of other errors :

Server: Msg 105, Level 15, State 1, Line 1

Unclosed quotation mark before the character string '"FAC Treaties$) WITH ALL_INDEXES, TABLERESULTS, NO_INFOMSGS'.

Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 1

Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '"FAC Treaties$) WITH ALL_INDEXES, TABLERESULTS, NO_INFOMSGS'.

I also tried SET @tblName = ['FAC Treaties$']

and SET @tblName = ["FAC Treaties$"]

These gave the same errors as SET @tblName = "'FAC Treaties$'"

• Try this :-

DECLARE

@sSql AS NVARCHAR(4000)

DECLARE

@StupidTableName AS NVARCHAR(1024)

SELECT

@StupidTableName = '''StupidTableName$'''

SELECT

@sSql = 'DBCC SHOWCONTIG (' + char(91) + @StupidTableName + char(93) + ')'

EXEC

(@sSql)

• Do I win ?

• Only if the solution uses sp_MSforeachtable ... LOL !

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Yes I got it to work for that stupid named table. The problem now is this is selecting tables within a cursor and not all of them have stupid names. 

PS I used this in the end...

select @sSQL = 'DBCC SHOWCONTIG (['+ char(39) +  @mytab + char(39) + ']) WITH ALL_INDEXES, TABLERESULTS, NO_INFOMSGS'

Thanks for all your help

• Thats why I used char(91) and char(93) it wouldn't matter what the table name was then.

• I did try the [ ] but still got errors..I'll see if I can work it out

Thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply