'DBCC' is not recognized as an internal or external command

• guzman_anthony (10/22/2012)

2. Run this script possible once a week?

No. As I said earlier, that script is harmful to your database and is NOT going to reduce the size of your backups in any way. So if you run that weekly you will be breaking the log chain, causing performance problems for no gain at all.

Question. the EMPTYFILE command does it mean its emptying the LOGS?

No, as I said earlier it applies to data files only and is for when you are trying to drop a data file.

Please go and read that article I referenced.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • You'd be wise to listen to Gail on this. If the problem is space on the backup drive, get more space or move some of the older backups to another drive. Messing with the database to get more backup space is almost NEVER a good idea. Every action you take on a database or it's associated log has some ramification to the smooth operation of the database. Truncating the log and shrinking things without knowing how that is going to impact recoverability and performance will, sooner or later, put you in a bad situation that you may or may not be able to recover from.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply