DBCC InputBuffer Permissions

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item DBCC InputBuffer Permissions

• Thanks for this easy question. But it remembers me an interview in 2010 where I have not been able to give the good solution ( the sysadmin permission was too much trivial to be accepted by the interviewer ). But the interviewer was clever and used the computer on his table to show me the results : a simple way which avoids many discussions and pleasant as it is easier for me to remember something I have seen/read than listened. But an habit too much forgotten or ignored by interviewers ...

• Nice question, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Thanks, nice question.

There is no such thing as "Impersonate Sysadmin," is there??

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Nice question.

But one doesn't need the specified permission to use DBCC INPUTBUFFER to look at the session one is running in. This has been true in every release since SQL 2000 (I don't know whether it was true for earlier versions). Of course that is a pretty restricted use of DBCC INPUTBUFFER, and more general use needs the VIEW SERVER STATE permission.

Tom

• Neat. Thanks, Steve!

• Got full credit...

Thanks.

• Guessed it right, thanx 4 the question.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• Thanks for the question.

• It's good to remind folks that privillages, even for more advanced things like operating backups or running performance tuning queries, can be granted piecemeal without adding the login to SYSADMIN membership.

It would be useful if SSMS under ..\Security\Logins would highlight those logins with sysadmin membership, and also be smart enough to identify those logins who inherit sysadmin membership by virtue of their domain group rather than just those logins explicitly granted membership by DBA.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I was also able to guess the correct answer (I'm not a DBA). Thanks for the question, Steve.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply