dbcc commands and the datbase snapshot

• I have a fresh sql 2005 sp1 build and I'm trying to run

dbcc checkdb (master)

I get

Msg 5030, Level 16, State 12, Line 1

The database could not be exclusively locked to perform the operation.

Msg 7926, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Check statement aborted. The database could not be checked as a database snapshot could not be created and the database or table could not be locked. See Books Online for details of when this behavior is expected and what workarounds exist. Also see previous errors for more details.

I'm not using the with TABLOCK, the server is NTFS and the master database is multi-user.  I'm not finding any other things to check in the research I've done so far.

Has anyone else run into this?  Idea/suggestions would be appreciated.

donna

• That's a strange one to be sure, I can't reproduce it - you've not changed any settings or permissions? - my installs are out of the box - I connect as sysadmin using AD login. You've not running any other process on the master databse, backup,  index rebuilds ?

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• We have an automated install process that we use and this is the first time I've had this issue.  The only automated process we run is a backup/dbcc job on a nightly basis.  The backup is running fine.

• Donna, I'm experiencing the same thing. I have no idea what's going on. The only thing unusual that I can think of is that my install was different than my other SQL 2005 installs. I forgot to install SSIS and then applied SP1. I then went back and installed SSIS and reapplied SP1. I wish I would have tried it beforehand.

Have you figured anything out about this one yet?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply