DBCC CHECKDB WITH TRY/CATCH

• Thanks - this is helpful and makes sense.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Very nice question, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Good question, wish my head was clear enough that I could have thought about it long enough to get it right. 🙂

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• Thank you for such interesting question.

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
    http://www.softplan.com.br
    MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA

• Nice question.

• Nice straightforward question.

The reference given is am SQL 2005 note, which does say it also applies to SQL 2008. There was a connect item on this which was closed "will not fix" but the MS comment at the time was "we won't fix this in SQL 2005".

So it's not really clear what will happen with SQL 2012. At least not from any documentation provided by MS. Of course, MS won't fix it; their explanation of why it happens is probably correct but is such that if that really is the cause then it would be utterly trivial to fix it, but as they haven't bothered even to update BoL to state that it doesn't raise errors it seems obvious that they can't be bothered with it - they think it's not even important enough to document in BoL.

Actually, to me it doesn't really matter; there's an easy workaround (just copy @@error immediately after the DBCC execution (thats the error code for the last error, if any, detected by DBCC) and then start a try block and raise an error if the copied value is nonzero. I think putting the DBCC call in the try block makes the error messages all disappear so you shouldn't do that.

Tom

• Interesting question, thanks

• +2. thanks:)

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply