DBCC CheckDB on 64 bit VM

• Hi All,

Are there any known problems with running CheckDB on SQL2005 Enterprise Edition 64 bit version?

The O/S is Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition 64 Bit SP2 hosted on an ESX VM.

I restored about 16 databases ranging from 100MB to 60GB on to the 64 bit SQL (on the virtual server ESX). We use this environment for development and test. I receive the following Error message for almost all of the databases.

Msg 8967, Level 16, State 216, Line 3

An internal error occurred in DBCC that prevented further processing. Contact Customer Support Services.

DBCC results for 'TSysDocMining'.

CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database 'TSysDocMining'.

For some of the databases, particularly the larger ones DBCC also reports page consistency errors.

Table error: Object ID 0, index ID -1, partition ID 0, alloc unit ID 0 (type Unknown), page ID (1:102610) contains an incorrect page ID in its page header. The PageId in the page header = (0:0).

When I use DBCC Page with option 3 DBCC can't format the page, with option 2 the page header in fact has 0x000 for the page number.

Other errors include table, data row, and index row errors.

When I restore the same backups to a 32-bit metal box DBCC CheckDB runs fine with no error messages.

I am trying to come up with a 64-bit metal server to test this on.

• I would suggest you contact customer support. It's not supposed to break.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • You've got corruption, and that's a known bug with database snapshots (which underpin DBCC CHECKDB) when that corruption occurs (sometimes).

See CHECKDB bug that people are hitting - Msg 8967, Level 16, State 216 for more details and workaround.

Thanks

Paul Randal
    CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
    Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
    SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

• Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick and informative response. I have seen almost all of the symptoms that you describe including the log messages related to the LSN.

My question is why would VM/Metal and/or 32/64 bit make a difference. These are all SQL 2005 with SP3. The 32-bit is Standard on WinServer 2003 R2 Standard and the 64-bit is EE on Win2003 EE R2 64 bit. The VM is hosted on a beefy 64 bit machine using ESX.

I hope this does not mean I have undetected corruption in the 32 bit environment 🙂

• Don't know - but it's something in the IO subsystem (whether virtual or physical)...

Paul Randal
    CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
    Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
    SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply