DBCC CHECKDB grief

• Sometimes it is necessary to run the DBCC Checkdb command with various repair options.

I put the database I wish to correct in single user mode and run the repair procedure.

However, even in single user mode, if a user attempts to connect to the database, the repair fails.

We run SQL 7.0 on a member server which is connected to our domain controller. I was wondering if I disconnected the member server from the domain, if the DBCC command would still work. I could connect to the Query Analyzer using SQL server security.

Has anyone tried this? Is there an easier way to prevent users from getting in while running DBCC?

When the snows fall and the white winds blow,The lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

Once you've accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.

• Dont remember seeing this behavior..but maybe just never ran into it! You could pause the service which of course stops everybody from everything. Maybe try DBO only for the db.

Andy

• Haven't run into it, but no one is around when I run DBCCs. Haven't run dbcc dbrepair in a long time. I spoke with the developer from MS for DBCC in SQL 2000 and he spent substantial time and effort to rework this system for SQL 2000.

Don't see anything in Technet relating to this. I'd look at pausing the service as Andy suggested and see what happens.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply