DBCC CheckDB Errors 8992, 8954, 8989

• Please pardon any ignorance on my part...(brand-spanking-new-DBA)

Running CheckDB returns the following error:

Check Catalog Msg 3853, State 1: Attribute (object_id=1357963914) of row (object_id=1357963914,column_id=1) in sys.columns does not have a matching row (object_id=1357963914) in sys.objects. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 8992) CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 1 consistency errors not associated with any single object. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 8954) CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 1 consistency errors in database 'amtslab'. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 8989). The step failed.

I found this article: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Corruption/69382/

The method preferred by most of the SQL corruption gurus is to create another database, and copy the contents of the corrupted database into the new database. Depending on the size of your database, this could take quite some time.

Could you tell me...what is involved with "copying the contents of the corrupted db to the new db?" Is the article referring to manually transferring all the data and objects? If so, is there any tool that could assist?

Also, this error apparently has been happening for quite some time (the server was upgraded some time ago and we just began recently to run CheckDB) and all copies of this db on our other intances and all backups copies appear to have this issue. Is it something that MUST be repaired? If it is something we can get by with, should and could we repress the errors so CheckDB could continue?

Also, when I query sys.columns and sys.objects for object_id 1357963914 I do not get any records returned.

Any information you have to offer would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

• sounds like two things: this database was upgraded from SQL 2000, and someone had ran "EXEC master.dbo.sp_configure 'allow updates', '1'", and deleted the row from sysobjects directly, without deleting the related data in syscolumns.

2005 and above don't allow direct editing any more, so it's rather difficult to clean up.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Please run the following and post the full and complete results.

DBCC CHECKDB (<Database Name>) WITH NO_INFOMSGS, ALL_ERRORMSGS

Yes, it's something you need to repair.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The error pasted above is the result of running:

DBCC CheckDB

WITH ALL_ERRORMSGS, NO_INFOMSGS;

Go

It is run within a job, so the Database dropdown is set to the db name amtslab (as opposed to putting it in the code). Here it is again:

Date7/8/2012 10:00:01 PM

LogJob History (Maintenance: Weekly Overhaul)

Step ID1

ServerDEV-SR\DEV

Job NameMaintenance: Weekly Overhaul

Step NameCheckDB: amtslab

Duration00:14:51

Sql Severity16

Sql Message ID8989

Operator Emailed

Operator Net sent

Operator Paged

Retries Attempted0

Executed as user: OurCompany\sqladmin. Check Catalog Msg 3853, State 1: Attribute (object_id=1357963914) of row (object_id=1357963914,column_id=1) in sys.columns does not have a matching row (object_id=1357963914) in sys.objects. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 8992) CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 1 consistency errors not associated with any single object. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 8954) CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 1 consistency errors in database 'amtslab'. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 8989). The step failed.

• Good, just the one error.

Ok, two options for fixing this.

Option 1 will be a lot of work, take quite a bit of time, but safe

Option 2 will be quick to do, but if you make a mistake you will likely damage the database more.

Pick your poison... 🙂

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Could you tell me...what is involved with "copying the contents of the corrupted db to the new db?" Is the article referring to manually transferring all the data and objects? If so, is there any tool that could assist?

Thanks, Gail...Do you have any insite on what's involved with option one? This is actually happening on 4 or 5 dbs.

• Option 1: Script all objects, export all data (bcp out or SSIS), recreate the database. Yes, it's a lot of work.

Option 2: hack some more at the system tables.

Gail Shaw

• Thanks much for for taking the time to give me something to go on! You Rock! 😀

• p.s. If you decide to hack the system tables, post back and I'll walk you through step by step. It's too risky to have a go at if you aren't completely sure how to do.

Gail Shaw

• lisa.randles (7/10/2012)

Also, when I query sys.columns and sys.objects for object_id 1357963914 I do not get any records returned.

Any information you have to offer would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

No records at all for this object id in sys.objects or sys.columns?

Sounds like a whole table was hacked out and left a rogue column behind, otherwise you would at least expect to see

a\ the table object in sys.objects

b\ a bunch of other column ids in sys.columns

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Appologies, Perry, you are correct. I found the records...I was inadvertantly looking at the master sys.objects and not the db.sys.objects. (~blush~)

For anyone else looking for info on this issue, I just found this post a bit ago: http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=119501. They were able to determine the offensive objects and resolve the issue... I don't think I can do so, though, because the object records are the ones that are missing. The link also has Paul Randal's instruction for "option 2". If this is the route we choose, I (newb) won't be the one deleting the records...but thanks for the offer, GilaMonster! You're a peach!

• Sorry! (double-post)

• Here is what I did to resolve mine. I've used these steps several times for "check catalog msg 3853".

Before you start deleting anything please bear in mind that no one understands your product better than yourself so do check with the developers.

1.Backup the corrupt database and apply steps two to six, when successful re-apply to your live db.

2.Point your query analyser to the corrupt database and run “sp_helptest dbcc checkdb” this may take awhile, a good time gauge is how long it takes for your integrity checks to run.

3.Get all the listed “referenced_major_id” and “object id’s” from the error msg using the script here...

Select object_id,name, type_desc

From sys.objects

Where object_id in (referenced_major_id, object_id)

4.List all the names, drop and recreate any sp’s and functions. Any found tables do check with your developers first.

If any of the listed tables contains data please don’t delete

5.Run dbcc checkdb (your db name here) with data_purity

6.Run integrity checks

7.If successful apply the same steps to the live database

• wampiah (7/11/2012)

Here is what I did to resolve mine. I've used these steps several times for "check catalog msg 3853".

Before you start deleting anything please bear in mind that no one understands your product better than yourself so do check with the developers.

1.Backup the corrupt database and apply steps two to six, when successful re-apply to your live db.

2.Point your query analyser to the corrupt database and run “sp_helptest dbcc checkdb” this may take awhile, a good time gauge is how long it takes for your integrity checks to run.

3.Get all the listed “referenced_major_id” and “object id’s” from the error msg using the script here...

Select object_id,name, type_desc

From sys.objects

Where object_id in (referenced_major_id, object_id)

4.List all the names, drop and recreate any sp’s and functions. Any found tables do check with your developers first.

If any of the listed tables contains data please don’t delete

5.Run dbcc checkdb (your db name here) with data_purity

6.Run integrity checks

7.If successful apply the same steps to the live database

That's for a different type of metadata problem, one where there are orphans in sys.dependencies. It's not going to help here when the orphaned rows are in sys.columns.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply