DBCC Checkdb

• I run a dbcc checkdb every night as part of my backup plan on all databases. Would this alert me in all scenarios of corruption?

• Yes.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • fantom (6/23/2014)

I run a dbcc checkdb every night as part of my backup plan on all databases. Would this alert me in all scenarios of corruption?

Well, the corruption(s) will be identified by the checkdb run. ALERTING you to the fact that a corruption was found is YOUR responsibility. You have to make sure that whatever mechanism is running the checkdb (a SQL Agent job firing Ola.Hallengren.com's script for example) can and is configured to notify you somehow. Database Mail is the usual mechanism here, although there are others.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Also, since this is part of the backup routine, you will want to take into consideration what going through with the backup will entail. Especially if that means you will be overwriting last night's last known good backup.

• Speaking to Matt's point, I hope you're date-stamping your backups and also keeping more than just one day's worth.

• Yes, I am. The question wasn't so much about how to set up the alert. It was more about if I am covered running checkdb. Gila Monster answered this question.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply