DBCC CHECKDB

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item DBCC CHECKDB

• Thanks Steve

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Nice question,........

Thanks Steve πŸ™‚

• Good question.... I wish to Share some of the points:-P:

->DBCC CHECKDB - Checks the logical and physical integrity of all the objects in the specified database.

->DBCC CHECKALLOC – Checks the consistency of disk space allocation structures for a specified database.

->DBCC CHECKTABLE – Checks the integrity of all the pages and structures that make up the table or indexed view.

->DBCC CHECKCATALOG – Checks for catalog consistency within the specified database. The database must be online.

• DivyaMohankumar (7/30/2013)

Good question.... I wish to Share some of the points:-P:

->DBCC CHECKDB - Checks the logical and physical integrity of all the objects in the specified database.

->DBCC CHECKALLOC – Checks the consistency of disk space allocation structures for a specified database.

->DBCC CHECKTABLE – Checks the integrity of all the pages and structures that make up the table or indexed view.

->DBCC CHECKCATALOG – Checks for catalog consistency within the specified database. The database must be online.

Good question. And thanks divya for this information. πŸ™‚

Thanks
    Vinay Kumar
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!

• Hello Steve,

Please clarify my following concern about this question..

Why not DBCC CHECKIDENT?

Checks the current identity value for the specified table and, if needed, corrects the identity value.

Reference : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa258817(v=sql.80).aspx

Regards,

K.K.Karuppusamy

• DivyaMohankumar (7/30/2013)

Good question.... I wish to Share some of the points:-P:

Definitely a simple good question for a recap. And good one liners from DivyaMohan. πŸ™‚

• Great reminder question - thanks Steve.

• karuppusamy.kk (7/31/2013)

Why not DBCC CHECKIDENT?

The short and simple answer: because Microsoft didn't build DBCC CHECKDB to include CHECKIDENT.

The longer and more useful answer: DBCC CHECKDB is intended to test the integrity of the database. The errors it finds are the errors that can cause the database to go corrupt. If there are no corruptions in the database, DBCC CHECKDB will do nothing. If there are errors, if may attempt to repair them with as little side effects as possible.

Contrast that the DBCC CHECKIDENT. This doesn't test for corruption; it tests for specific situations in user tables that may be a sign of inconssitencies, but definitely not of corruption. If DBCC CHECKIDENT "repairs" issues it finds, it will have a side effect on the user data (i.e. it affects identity values to be assigned in the future).

Bottom line - DBCC CHECKIDENT is too different from the intended use of DBCC CHECKDB to be included in it.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo Kornelis (7/31/2013)

karuppusamy.kk (7/31/2013)

Why not DBCC CHECKIDENT?

The short and simple answer: because Microsoft didn't build DBCC CHECKDB to include CHECKIDENT.

The longer and more useful answer: DBCC CHECKDB is intended to test the integrity of the database. The errors it finds are the errors that can cause the database to go corrupt. If there are no corruptions in the database, DBCC CHECKDB will do nothing. If there are errors, if may attempt to repair them with as little side effects as possible.

Contrast that the DBCC CHECKIDENT. This doesn't test for corruption; it tests for specific situations in user tables that may be a sign of inconssitencies, but definitely not of corruption. If DBCC CHECKIDENT "repairs" issues it finds, it will have a side effect on the user data (i.e. it affects identity values to be assigned in the future).

Bottom line - DBCC CHECKIDENT is too different from the intended use of DBCC CHECKDB to be included in it.

+1 πŸ™‚

• Back to basics. Thanks for the question Steve.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Nice question Steve!

So far, the most chosen wrong answer is: CHECKINTEGRITY. :hehe:

Which, of course is not a valid DBCC check. :w00t:

• Dave62 (7/31/2013)

Nice question Steve!

So far, the most chosen wrong answer is: CHECKINTEGRITY. :hehe:

Which, of course is not a valid DBCC check. :w00t:

No it's not, but, it sounds really good for one. A nice red herring thrown in there by Steve. πŸ™‚

However, there is an SSIS task named Check Database Integrity. πŸ˜‰

• It's a good question.

It's a bit shocking to see that so far out of just over 600 people about 55 people picked the non-existent and utterly implausible DBCC CHECKCACHE, and about 175 picked the equally non-existent although less implausible sounding DBCC CHECKFILEGROUP; and it seems amazing that about 120 people thought that DBCC CHECKIDENT was something that DBCC CHECKDB would do. So I hope that people will learn from this question.

Tom

• L' Eomot InversΓ© (7/31/2013)

It's a good question.

It's a bit shocking to see that so far out of just over 600 people about 55 people picked the non-existent and utterly implausible DBCC CHECKCACHE, and about 175 picked the equally non-existent although less implausible sounding DBCC CHECKFILEGROUP; and it seems amazing that about 120 people thought that DBCC CHECKIDENT was something that DBCC CHECKDB would do. So I hope that people will learn from this question.

Tom, I was looking for DBCC ATTITUDE to see how I felt about the question but could not find it in the list. πŸ™‚

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply