DBA to Data Engineer

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item DBA to Data Engineer

• Exactly this!

I took a promotion from Lead DBA to Data Architect.  As a hands-off role it wasn't good for me but did bring a decent salary (found out later I was paid £15K less than other architects).  Through a strange route I ended up as a Lead Data Engineer and on to Principal Data Engineer.  It is a varied role and strangely closer to when I first started my career as an analyst/programmer.   Analyst/Programmers were expected to do a bit of everything, including talking to the people for whom we were writing software.

My current role has got me into the habit of learning.  If you are in a comfy job in a stable company it is too easy to site back and flip the pages of your calendar.  I really think you have to cultivate and nurture learning as a habit.  Do it for yourself, but also encourage it in those who report to you.  You will be serving them well.

• Where I live (Ontario, Canada) "Engineer" is protected term and people who are not licensed as Professional Engineers are not allowed to use it. I suspect this is true in other regions as well.

• Engineer is protected in many places, but not sure that's slowed the use of this as a title for a position rather than a certification.

At least not in the US.

• It's easier to change your job title than to improve your skill set 😛

• ZZartin wrote:

It's easier to change your job title than to improve your skill set 😛

I think that is the genesis of this trend.

However, doing both can help your career, especially when you are being compared with others.

• David.Poole wrote:

Exactly this!

I took a promotion from Lead DBA to Data Architect.  As a hands-off role it wasn't good for me but did bring a decent salary (found out later I was paid £15K less than other architects).  Through a strange route I ended up as a Lead Data Engineer and on to Principal Data Engineer.  It is a varied role and strangely closer to when I first started my career as an analyst/programmer.   Analyst/Programmers were expected to do a bit of everything, including talking to the people for whom we were writing software.

My current role has got me into the habit of learning.  If you are in a comfy job in a stable company it is too easy to site back and flip the pages of your calendar.  I really think you have to cultivate and nurture learning as a habit.  Do it for yourself, but also encourage it in those who report to you.  You will be serving them well.

Data Architect is just a more senior Data Engineer for a lot of newer tech companies. It's pretty much going Data Engineer -> Senior Data Engineer -> Data Architect these days. I myself am a Data Architect. I'm basically a glorified Data Engineer for most companies. That or Cloud Solutions Architect because my work as an architect is primarily cloud based.

I would stay away from architect roles that are design only. It's only going to hinder you long-term. You'll end up in your 50's with none of the new data engineering skillsets if you get laid off. Same thing is happening to all the glorified IT directors and so forth who become management and lack any of the skills of the teams they lead.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply