DBA Support

• Gary Varga (10/10/2016)

Abu Dina (10/7/2016)

I love it when I get a notification about a thread I posed in 4 years ago!...

Vogue!!!

Haha 😛

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
    David Edwards - Media lens[/url]

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
    Howard Zinn

• Fortunately I don't have to manage any. I leave that to our dedicated DBA now.

• Funny to see that some things never change (i.e. the old thread).

I am the accidental DBA as well. Title as "Senior Analyst" - but in reality I am the one caring about (thus maintaining) our databases. And I wouldn't live without them one minute! We will never have a position in the company for DBA full-time. Too small shop for that.

Since this is "in house development" we have something like

~ 1 server

~ couple of instances

~ two dozen databases (one big - many small)

~ No test or dev environment (too much work for the benefit - my buddy and I prefer to yell at each other instead ;-))

Do we automate? Yes. But much is set up "by someone else" meaning that we don't know about it, don't know how to use it, or don't know how to fix it if it breaks.

Do I spent a lot of time with DBA tasks? Yes - sometimes.

Sometimes out of need, sometimes out of curiosity. It is actually quite fun to get "hands on", but I would die if I were to spend my days cleaning up after someone else's mess. Like many prof. DBAs do.

• alan.archer (10/7/2016)

The challenge is to find others that are motivated to learn and excel, identify them early in their career (it takes years to learn this SQL stuff well! Agreed?)

Hard to say, I've only been doing it about 20 years. I'll let you know when I think I've got there.

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• I agree with you Andrew.

It also doesn't help that every time I think I partially understand most of the features they add in something new or I find a feature that existed that I just never used before like service broker (just recently got that set up and it was an interesting battle but it seems stable now).

At my work, we are an all on-premise shop. So I have no azure experience. We are also a fully SQL Server Standard Edition place so I don't get to play with the fun things like columnstore indexes or in memory OLTP or partitioning. And we haven't switched to 2016 yet so I am out of the loop on R.

It almost makes me feel old.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply