DBA job description ??

• It seemed to me these days every DBA job I applied had the following requirements.

Database development and support for our entire product suite

Managing SQL code (stored procedures, triggers, database scripts) to implement business logic and database maintenance

Database performance tuning, troubleshooting

Participation in the design and implementation of a data access layer

Database administration tasks for development and client environments

Qualifications

3-7 years experience with SQL Server 2000/2005 designing databases and implementing database applications (transactional and/or data warehouse)

Experience with SQL Server Analysis Services, and/or SQL Server Reporting Services

Very good knowledge of T-SQL and Microsoft database tools

Experience with database administration in a development environment

Experience with distributed applications, C#, NET

To me part of it is a DBA + Developer + Data Architect position. Is it most companies want to hire someone that can do DBA/Developer/Data Architect to save money?

• I have seen even longer lists, but it does not mean that they want them ALL. Put Or between the lines, not AND.

If you posess about 7 out of these 10 qualities, you are good to go.

• Yeah, that list seems a bit light. I'd ball park it. If you're close, go for it. Unless it specifically states something like "Extensive expertise with MDX" or some other statement that you think indicates a strong preference for a technology that you may not be that familiar with, or interested in, get close and send in your resume.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Or - it's a "red herring posting" and someone in the recruiting business is trying to cast a wide net....

That being said - it seems to be leaning towards the "development DBA" type of position (not quite into the Architect bucket, but yes - heading there).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I hate red herring postings. It seems all they want is the names & addresses of potential contractors and they ignore the needs/wants of the person actually looking for the job.

In my experience, the two most important parts of the job description is the "REQUIRED" list and the # of years of experience requested. The rest always seems to be gravy. And if the posting doesn't separate out "REQUIRED" and "PREFERRED", then you should re-exam the position very closely.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply