DBA Interview Questions

• Hi,

Where can i find general DBA interview questions?.

Thanks,

• I'm sure you can find plenty with an internet search.  One of my favorite questions to ask is "Could you please explain an outer join?"  

I ask this one to demonstrate their communication skills, and if they are completely lost then I don't want them.

"Keep Your Stick On the Ice" ..Red Green

• Hi,

first of all, are you hiring or are you going to the interview yourself?

second, is it a dvelopment DBA position, I mean, for a DBA to support database development or it is a database administration position?

In any case, 90 % of issues that I have to work with were well covered in the Microsoft exams. Please, read a listing of topics on the Microsoft website for exams 70-228 and 70-229 and then get an exam preparation SW from Transcender or  MeasureUp. You can use similar questions to ask of your candidates. Try not to break this SW licensing agrements. If this is what Microsoft would like a DBA to know then it is probably what you would like your DBA to know.

Another test is to give a candidate a couple of real-life issues from the past 2 month and see if he is able to figure them out

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• For some reason it posted my reply 2 times. I did not know how to delete here. Just edited

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Hi,

Thanks for you reply. I am going to face an interview for  SQL SERVER DBA position.

Thanks.

• Depends. If it is a mid-size to large company it most likely will not be a skills interview but a targeted selection interview. They will ask questions like

Name a time when you happened into a conflict with a fellow co-worker. How did you resolve the conflict?

As far as DBA questions there is no scriptted question list anyone follows unless they created inhouse. Probably in most cases will see developer questions more so than DBA questions.

• how is the backup strategy different for regular size db vs. VLDB....

• In ,my opionion for a DBA position the key technical areas - one should be familiar with are:

Backup and Recovery - Giving situations and DB - know what backup method is best suited for that - Backup methods will differ from DB to DB.  You need to identify and provide the best solutions.  Also need to outline a good Disaster recovery plan.

perform Monitoring:   Know the steps to identify and isolate poorly performing queries and steps needed to improve them.  Also know how to identify issues with locking and blocking and what steps to take to identify and fix these issues. 

besides the above you should know the diff types of replication and when to use which as how to set up transaction log shipping.

These are good starting points to prepare

• Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply