DBA in Space

• So I am actually a developer not a DBA. I do a lot of DBA work. Anyway, my impression is that many DBA's are risk adverse. So I thought it would be interesting to see how many DBA's would actually want to go to space. Not in theory, but in fact want to physically go. Remember there are no guarantees. There is always risk.

• By the way, DBA is just a term, we're talking data professionals concerned with databases. From the rules:

If you’re a finalist we will need to confirm that you work with databases, though.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (10/19/2011)

By the way, DBA is just a term, we're talking data professionals concerned with databases. From the rules:

If you’re a finalist we will need to confirm that you work with databases, though.

I read that in the rules as well. Still I imagine that they would want a true Database Administrator, not just a database developer like me. Actually, I spend most of my time developing web sites, web services, windows apps etc. I do design and write all the database side as well. I am the defacto DBA at the small company I work for.

Anyway, thanks for the post.

• bkubicek (10/19/2011)

Grant Fritchey (10/19/2011)

By the way, DBA is just a term, we're talking data professionals concerned with databases. From the rules:

I read that in the rules as well. Still I imagine that they would want a true Database Administrator, not just a database developer like me. Actually, I spend most of my time developing web sites, web services, windows apps etc. I do design and write all the database side as well. I am the defacto DBA at the small company I work for.

Anyway, thanks for the post.

If I thought I might be qualified, I'd enter anyway. I can't play, which sucks.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• The website for Space Adventures has a video that shows them testing the rocket they would use. Really impressive and seems to work well. That being said, of course there's risk but I imagine there are worse ways to shuffle off this mortal coil than a rocket explosion. Death would probably trade his scythe in for an electric guitar when he comes to collect your soul in that case. Anyway. the winner should just make sure to have an updated will before liftoff. That'd mitigate some of the associated risks.

• Ian Massi (10/20/2011)

The website for Space Adventures has a video that shows them testing the rocket they would use. Really impressive and seems to work well. That being said, of course there's risk but I imagine there are worse ways to shuffle off this mortal coil than a rocket explosion. Death would probably trade his scythe in for an electric guitar when he comes to collect your soul in that case. Anyway. the winner should just make sure to have an updated will before liftoff. That'd mitigate some of the associated risks.

It isn't just the take off that is risky. You have the reentry as well. I don't think the space ship is going high enough to have to worry too much about space junk, but what if something gets damaged? There isn't any space shuttle to send up to help patch the hole in the heat shield. Also, how many flights will they have done before this one? Or will our DBA in Space be on the first flight? I can't be the only one asking these questions.

• bkubicek (10/20/2011)

Ian Massi (10/20/2011)

The website for Space Adventures has a video that shows them testing the rocket they would use. Really impressive and seems to work well. That being said, of course there's risk but I imagine there are worse ways to shuffle off this mortal coil than a rocket explosion. Death would probably trade his scythe in for an electric guitar when he comes to collect your soul in that case. Anyway. the winner should just make sure to have an updated will before liftoff. That'd mitigate some of the associated risks.

It isn't just the take off that is risky. You have the reentry as well. I don't think the space ship is going high enough to have to worry too much about space junk, but what if something gets damaged? There isn't any space shuttle to send up to help patch the hole in the heat shield. Also, how many flights will they have done before this one? Or will our DBA in Space be on the first flight? I can't be the only one asking these questions.

200+ test runs.

• Ian Massi (10/20/2011)

And yet, I'd still go, in a heart beat.

On the other hand, if you're really worried, Red Gate is running another contest[/url] is slightly safer (but not much).

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (10/20/2011)

Ian Massi (10/20/2011)

Me too. In an instant.

Also can't. Sucks. Big time.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (10/20/2011)

Grant Fritchey (10/20/2011)

Ian Massi (10/20/2011)

Me too. In an instant.

You work for RG????

• Ninja's_RGR'us (10/20/2011)

GilaMonster (10/20/2011)

Grant Fritchey (10/20/2011)

Ian Massi (10/20/2011)

Me too. In an instant.

You work for RG????

Err, no.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Also can't. Sucks. Big time.

Oh crap.. nether can I.

Law 101 from Quebec pretty much stops us from entering any contest anywhere in the world, including this one.

(To respect this law, the contest must be held equally in french / <whatever>). So instead of wasting time all lawers just say, exclude that province and be done with it.

Is there a time limit where I can get a new adress? πŸ˜€

Is there a time limit where I can get a new adress? πŸ˜€

It's usually 6 months to a year depending on local laws. Otherwise I'd just take a vacation in the UK and declare that I'm resident there. πŸ™

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (10/20/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (10/20/2011)

Is there a time limit where I can get a new address? πŸ˜€

It's usually 6 months to a year depending on local laws. Otherwise I'd just take a vacation in the UK and declare that I'm resident there. πŸ™

Before or after the contest ends? πŸ˜€

Does mail forwarding address count? :hehe:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply