DBA Duties versus System Administrator

• Hi,

I am in Tough Situation.I am a DBA on the project and

we are going to production in May.My manager

make one of the Developer System Administrator.

He is working on sysadmin manual and he is adding the Database performane and monitoring as a part of Sysadmin job.My question is

Monotoring and Trouble shooting the database is the

Job of sysadmin?

I am going to talk with my boss and told him that

database monitoring and Tune up is the Job of DBA.

Any advise appreciated.

• My 2 Cs...

You don't say whether the developer is a database developer - if so, most companies have their db people wear numerous hats - It all depends on how competent they are & how many years of experience they have - if your boss is picking a newbie who can barely string a select statement together and flinging him in to sink or swim then you have a tough road ahead...otherwise, if your question is only whether a developer can be an admin...sure..I know many on this site alone who do both jobs admirably well...

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Here at our company, the database performance monitoring & tuning is the DBA's responsibility.  Our sysadmins are responsible for the network & server hardware.  Our sysadmins no nothing about SQL Server so it would be absurd to make it part of their duties. 

I agree with what Sushila said, if the guy does have significant knowledge of SQL then it may not be an issue but if not, then I would have a big problem with it.  Especially if he can't handle it, you know the blame is going to come back to the DBA.  I would sit down with your boss & express your concerns over this.  I don't know how open he is to input from you but it is worth a shot.

John

• I think in todays Volatile world of IT, it would be hard to imagine that a DBA is purely fullfilling only DBA roles.  Today a DBA needs to wear more hats like assume role of DBA/System Admin/Network Admin.

But I think if someone is a good DBA - then thats what he/she should do, as thats the area where they are going to contribute the most.  Otherwise there is a price to pay for it as there is less time for monitoring the DB for performamce as well as doing other DBA tasks that a normal DBA would do on a daily basis.  Ofcourse there is no excuse for backup and recovery.  No matter how busy you are - you better make sure your DB backup/recovery processes work and have been throughly tested.   

• If he is performance tuning a system that is being developed (the code) then it is an ideal job for one of the developers on the project. But, it wouldn't be necessary if the developers wrote efficient SQL in the first place.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply