DBA

• I would like to be a DBA in sql server.i am little bit stronger in sql queries,sp,views...

i know basic import/export thru DTS wizard.

What are the other things i should learn? whats my next level learning??

is there any best book or site to learn for DBA profession.

my ultimate aim is to become stronger in sql...i need step by step process to improve my knowledge..

pls help me

• Step by step is difficult. However, there are many ways in which you can grow in knowledge. These forums being one of them, reading and replying to posts can be a great education tool. However, and somewhat unfortunately, the greatest method of growth comes with experience. With that being said, take what is presented to you for SQL Server work, whether it be development or administration and learn it fully. Dig deeper than what is necessary to "get the job done" but go the extra mile so that you truly understand it.

It is through the different experience that work allows you that you will become strongest. An example being that I have never had to deal with replication but in my job now I have an environment that is heavily replication dependant and this has caused me to learn more of the DBMS and has stretched me a good bit. The same with performance tuning. Someone can be considered a "great" DBA in an environment where the biggest database is < 100 Gig and SQL is handling all the poor coding through brute force of the server but bring that to a realm where you have a multi-terabyte web database and you will be tested in your ability to properly tune code and configuration.

Again, take the opportunities that are set before you and get the most out of them. Then look for those next opportunities if others aren't opened to you. Chances are people will recognize your skill growth and want to take advantage of it.

Another note, take advantage of these great tools that are availiable today such as the jumpstart TV, White papers, articles on this site, free e-books (check out Red-Gate.com), etc. There is a wealth of information out there to glean and to absorb. It will take time but it will be worth it.

One final note, as Steve had put in his editorial on "Who wants to be rich?", there is no "get it quick" scheme that works. You can't take a bunch of classes and say you are a qualified DBA. That will only come from experience, and the learning that you have sought out yourself.

Hope this is helpful.

David

@SQLTentmaker

β€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Security and Backup & Restore strategies are the #1 thing for a DBA. Protecting the databases and making sure you can recovery in cases of emergency should be at the top of your list.

• Read books and white papers is good, but you also need to get hands on experience as well. One thing you should also consider is purchasing SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition. This is a $50 dollar investment well worth the expense.

😎

• I have nice idea for you too...

Just read the DBA books and applies in your Own Server DB 1st...

check for pros..n cons...come up with new solutions and ideas........

Then you can applie to Production or Development Server.....

"Think Different"....which makes you more stronger in SQL Programming World...

This much i can say...

Thanks..

• And to be a complete DBA, I would definitely say you would need to have pretty good knowledge of the HARDWARE that is used. If you are to build a new server you have to be sure of what are the needs and if you are working on a existing server then you should be able to find out the weak threads.

Having a good knowledge of scripting is a boon, which you will realise when you get on with many a issues just because of some bad code.

Nevertheless, you need to be more responsible than ever πŸ˜›

Good Luck!!!

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• seenu_61281 (10/23/2008)

shame that since SQL2005 doesnt use DTS

seenu_61281 (10/23/2008)

What are the other things i should learn?

Get SSIS under your belt and forget DTS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" πŸ˜‰

my ultimate aim is to become stronger in sql...i need step by step process to improve my knowledge..

pls help me

One of the good books for you is The 70-431 Training Kit

And grab the "SQL Server 2005 Administrator's Pocket Consultant"

-Marlon Ribunal - visit my blog HERE[/url]

SQL Server Database Administrator

I would like to be a DBA in sql server.i am little bit stronger in sql queries,sp,views...

pls help me

Very simple. try to solve the User problems on sqlservercentral

kshitij kumar
    kshitij@krayknot.com
    www.krayknot.com

• krayknot (10/23/2008)

seenu_61281 (10/23/2008)

I would like to be a DBA in sql server.i am little bit stronger in sql queries,sp,views...

pls help me

Very simple. try to solve the User problems on sqlservercentral

Good one !! Plenty of real-world experience here !

• Taking out of the equation the physical components always remember DBA owns nor the Data neither the Processes; DBA owns the structure:

Data <= owned by Business

Processes <= owned by Development

Structure <= owned by DBA

Your main responsibility as a DBA is to ensure data is Safe and Available, be sure you have a proven backup/recovery strategy, be sure you have a proven DR strategy, be sure your security is sound. Once you comfortable on the above mentioned items you can start looking at performance, mentoring developers, etc.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • hi i can show you the way of dba but you have to tell me about your current job profile like till now in which field do u have experience and how much ... dts is till 2000 in 2005 now you have to learn ssis package that can be develop throgh business development studio.... you can pm me whenever you want help

Raj Acharya

• hi for be a DBA you need to learn features of sql server ... like index tuning ...sql profiler,how to put trace,and so many things still i have over 2 yrs exp in this field in every day there is something that i don't know day by day u know your unknown things and work hard here all people are very nice and also i will also available to help you whatever i can

Raj Acharya

• The best resource is Books Online. Download it from Microsoft's site if you dont have a copy.

Second best resource is this site itself. You'll find hundreds of amazing articles on various topics.

Learn the architecture along with backup and recovery. This will lead you to high availability section and you can continue with log shipping, replication, mirroring...

Second most important aspect is Performance. Start with basics like various types of indexing, then to locks, performance monitor and profiler.

Then you can concentrate on mastering specific topics. You can take help of various sections under Forum on this site to keep your focus on the topic you're studying at that moment.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, try studying in detail abt each query posted here at SQLServerCentral.

And you'll always find experts here to guide you if you're stuck anywhere πŸ™‚

Pradeep Singh

pls help me

go through below sites.. step by ste.

--www.mssqlcity.com

--ww.sql-server-performence.com

--www.sqltree.com

--www.4shared.com -- search word - SQL

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Paresh Prajapati
    ➑ +919924626601
    http://paresh-sqldba.blogspot.com/[/url]
    LinkedIn | Tweet Me | FaceBook | Brijj

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply