db_datawriter in SQL3005

• Hello,

My situation is a read-only database and a work aread where users can pull subsets from the ro-DB. I am trying to understand the Fixed database role db_datawriter.

When I grant db_datawriter to a user, I expect him/her to be able to create tables via a SELECT INTO statement, but it doesn't seem to work that way. Where do I go wrong in my thinking and what role do I need to assign to achieve this job?

Thanks a bunch!

• Pieter,

when your using SELECT INTO, your running an implicit CREATE TABLE statement. Datawriter only means that a user can insert, update or delete records in existing tables or views. He cannot create new objects (or execute stored procedures).

In order to run select into succesvol either grant CREATE TABLE permission or make them member of the ddl_admin role. If select into is all they need I would choose the first option.

Markus

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• thanks Markus!

I didn't realize about the implicit CREATE TABLE.

• wow!  did we start using SQL3005 already??!!??  I thought the next version was 2008.  My bad.  Just kidding everyone, I thought it was a little amusing.  🙂  Have a good day!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply