DB scheduled restore job fail

• Hi, All

I schedule DB restore job on our Web reporting server every night using a backup file from production server, more than half time, the job fails, I run detach user, drop DB and then restore DB, 3 steps in the job, I am only one currently using the Web reporting server, both production and Web reporting servers are Win2K with SP3 and SQL 2000 and sp3a installed. message I got at most time like this:

Executed as user: Domain\AltirisSvc. SPID 52: transaction rollback in progress. Estimated rollback completion: 100%. Estimated time remaining: 0 seconds. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 6109) Process ID 52 is not an active process ID. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 6106). The step failed.

can anyone explan why the step failed, it say SPID 52 is not active process ID, why the job select this SPID 52 instead of other process ID that might be in active?

If I manually start the job (right click the job, then Click 'Start Job' the job start without problem! service account I use to create the job in Domain admin group and local admin group.

• quote:

I run detach user, drop DB and then restore DB, 3 steps in the job

Can you post he scripts? Which steps were failed? You may run dbcc inputbuffer(52) to capture the last statement that was send to process 52. Any error messages in SQL Server errorlog?

• here is 1st step of the job

declare @spid int

declare @spid2 char(2)

declare curs1 cursor

for

(select spid from sysprocesses where dbid= (select dbid from

sysdatabases where name = 'aexns'))

open curs1

fetch next from curs1 into @spid

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

set @spid2 = cast(@spid as char(2))

execute('kill ' + @spid2)

FETCH NEXT FROM curs1 INTO @spid

END

• message from SQL logs:

Process ID 52 killed by hostname RLGHNCSXN1E, host process ID 1404.

I look Task manager:

Process ID 1404 is sqlagent.exe

the step failed is 1st one

• Ok. It looks you want to disconnect all user's connections before droping the database.

You may try to replace your step1 with 'alter database' command with 'termination' option. See BOL for details.

Edited by - allen_cui on 08/22/2003 09:58:09 AM

Edited by - allen_cui on 08/22/2003 09:58:45 AM

• just want to be sure, on 1st step of the job to run: ALTER DATABASE mydb WITH IMMEDIATE instead of detach all user

• For example.

use master

go

alter database northwind set offline with rollback immediate

go

drop database northwind

go

• Thanks, Allen

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply