DB Owner doubt

• Hi all,

I understand that the person who creates the db becomes the owner of the db.

Our company is doing database hosting service. So, we will be giving access to the users for their databases. In this scenario, who can be the dbo, in the security point of view?

1. The DB user to whom we are giving the admin rights, becomes the db creater or

2. The sa or the NT\Administrator is opt for creating the DB.

Cheers

Parasu Raman

Regards
    Parasu Raman

• My 2 cents:

1. I'd have the user "submit" a request to create dbs. You can then have someone create the db (or automate this).

2. I'd give the users logins, and then map that login to the db, giving them the dbowner role.

There is no big deal with having them be dbo in a database, but they have complete rights within the db. However, you do not want clients having rights to the server itself. If they need scheduled tasks, or DTS, I'd let them submit a request that you review before implementing it.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• You can always make the db under sa and then give the customer dbo rights if they need them. We have some of the same issues here. Let us know what you end up doing and why.

Wes

• I keep all mine owned by SA - not a big deal to change even after the fact. Neatness more than substance though.

Andy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply