DB Mirroring (Suspended mode)

• Could you pls help me on why mirroring could go to (SUSPENDED) mode for particular DBs?

I have like 50 databases on same instance which is mirrored to another sever

2 of the database mirroring goes to (SUSPENDED) mode quite often

To test this i create a test DB (on same server, same link etc) and inserted million of records

Some time the mirroring goes to (SUSPENDED) mode, sometimes i keep inserting millions of records and still mirroring doesent break.

I check the error logs when the mirroring goes to suspended mode

'TCP://testDB1:5100', the remote mirroring partner for database 'mirroringtest2', encountered error 1204, status 4, severity 19. Database mirroring has been suspended. Resolve the error on the remote server and resume mirroring, or remove mirroring and re-establish the mirror server instance.

The SET PARTNER TIMEOUT 10 (I changed to 20 still sometimes DB goes to suspended mode)

I use High performance(asyc) mode

DB :- sql2008r2

Compatibility mode :- sql2000(80)

Thankx

• I suspect your problem is your network - because you mention that it randomly works. What is the latency between the Principal and the Mirror? Try using ping -l 65000 hostname to see how the network responds when you are send lots of data.

Also, you can launch the Mirroring Monitor Tool and examine the mirroring history output during the time period in question.

• You don't go into specifics about you setup but,

From:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms366349(v=sql.90).aspx

On a 32-bit system, database mirroring can support a maximum of about 10 databases per server instance because of the numbers of worker threads that are consumed by each database mirroring session.

I've had issues with mirroring alot of databses as well. I'm down to 17 on 1 instance, but it's all 64 bit (OS & SQL). I'm also running 2005 std. you must be using Enterprise since you're running in high performance mode.

• Ralph Thomas (3/16/2011)

You don't go into specifics about you setup but,

From:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms366349(v=sql.90).aspx

On a 32-bit system, database mirroring can support a maximum of about 10 databases per server instance because of the numbers of worker threads that are consumed by each database mirroring session.

I've had issues with mirroring alot of databses as well. I'm down to 17 on 1 instance, but it's all 64 bit (OS & SQL). I'm also running 2005 std. you must be using Enterprise since you're running in high performance mode.

That's a really good point. If you are on 32bit, I seem to remember that running-out-of-vas manifests itself as a db going into suspended mode. Or, once you exceed your db limit, you can't get it to sync and shows a status of "Suspended".

Also, our experience with 32 bit was that the upper limit was around 40 databases before running out of VAS and we saw the effects first on the mirror. Your mileage may vary.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply