DB Mirroring Setup

• Hi Guru,

Please help!!!

SQL 2005 Standard/Windows 2003 R2

Servers not in domain environment but they are in DMZ zone.

SQLSERVICE runs on localsystem account

Not default port

This is a two dual core machine with hyper threading. We cloned this machine and put another server in our hot standby data center. Principal is the server in our main data center both mirror and witness are located on the same machine in our hot standby data center. Principal and mirror are running on standard and witness is running on sqlexpress version.

Steps to configure for outbound connections on all three instances:

In a master database, create a database master key

In a master database, create an encrypted certificate for server instance

Create endpoint for server instance using it’s certificate

Backup certificate to a file and copy the file to the other server

Steps to configure for inbound connections on all three instances:

Create login for the other system

Create user from this login

Obtain certificate for mirroring endpoint of the other server instances

Associate the certificate with the user created.

Grant connect permission on the login for the mirroring endpoint

However, when I tried to setup partner and mirror, the partner could not find the mirror. I was able to ping, telnet for communications between these two servers.

Did I miss something? why not work?

Thanks very much,

Silaphet,

• Maybe Local System Account for MSSQLServer service has not enough rights to go out to the other server...

• Have you started the service with trace flag 1400?

See: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;907741

[Quoting the above article]

Currently, Microsoft support policies do not apply to the database mirroring feature in Microsoft SQL Server 2005.

By default, database mirroring is disabled. However, you can enable database mirroring for evaluation purposes only by using trace flag 1400 as a startup parameter. Database mirroring should not be used in production environments. Microsoft Product Support Services does not support databases or applications that use database mirroring. The database mirroring documentation is included in SQL Server 2005 for evaluation purposes only. Additionally, the Documentation Policy for SQL Server 2005 Support and Upgrade does not apply to the database mirroring documentation.

After you start an instance of SQL Server 2005 by using trace flag 1400, you can set up and evaluate database mirroring. For more information, see SQL Server 2005 Books Online.

Note Trace flag 1400 is a temporary flag. Trace flag 1400 will be removed when database mirroring is made available for general production use.

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

• Eddie,

Of course, I've started the service with trace flag 1400. This is the first thing I did after installing sql 2005.

Thanks,

Silaphet,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply