DB Mail queued, not sending

• All,

I am a newbie to DB mail, just started using it at my current company, and am having an issue where the messages are being queued, but not sent.

When I run "exec sp_sysmail_activate", they send, but how can I get the server to send when the message is queued? What should I check?

• Also, for more informaton.

When I run "sysmail_help_queue_sp @queue_type = 'Mail' ;", I see the following output when it is stuck.

mail0INACTIVE2011-09-30 19:37:57.5002011-09-30 19:37:57.500

• Hi ,

Look http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190630.aspx.

Regards

http:\\sqldbataskwithkumar.blogspot.com

Regards,
    Kumar

• Kumar,

I've already been through that, but it doesn't explain my current situation.

• Is every mail message queued, or does some mail get sent and some queued?

• There could be problem with your SMTP server. You might need to check with your network team regarding this to verify if ports are open etc. for the SMTP server.

M&M

• mohammed moinudheen (10/4/2011)

There could be problem with your SMTP server. You might need to check with your network team regarding this to verify if ports are open etc. for the SMTP server.

no, if the issue was the mail server, the mail would not be queued, but would be in the failed mail and you could review the issue that occurred at the mail server.

the issue is most likely related with the service broker not processing mail; whether it's blocked, not running or something is where you need to look.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell (10/4/2011)

mohammed moinudheen (10/4/2011)

There could be problem with your SMTP server. You might need to check with your network team regarding this to verify if ports are open etc. for the SMTP server.

no, if the issue was the mail server, the mail would not be queued, but would be in the failed mail and you could review the issue that occurred at the mail server.

the issue is most likely related with the service broker not processing mail; whether it's blocked, not running or something is where you need to look.

Ok. Thank you for the correction.

M&M

• the issue is most likely related with the service broker not processing mail; whether it's blocked, not running or something is where you need to look.

...This seems likely, where do I check for issues with Service Broker?

• anyone know where to check for issues with service broker? It is active, but I can't see what to check on for my current problem?

• The Service Broker basically relays the mail from SQL directly to Exchange or your SMTP server (depending on how your architecture is set up).

If that's hung, the only way to get it working is to restart the entire Server itself, as it's an OS-level process that's most likely encountered an error with one of the services underlying DLL files.

Check the posts in the link below (has help from Lowell on it before when i faced a similar issue), it might not be applicable to you but I would wager in your situation that anything is worth a try?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1183789-391-1.aspx#bm1183833

______________________________________________________________________________Never argue with an idiot; Theyll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

• Thanks, I will try that.

• No dice, a full server restore did not fix the issue, I still have the same behavior.

I think that the service broker might be "misconfigured", but I am not sure what to look for. Any tips/pointers?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply