DB Last Backup date

• I tried to look up the answer but can't seem to find it.

When you right click on a DB and go to properties you can see the last backup showing. I know for instance my local DBs are not backed up yet it always shows today in that field. Can anyone explain to me what it is doing and how it works

• You sure the database is not being backed up?! Normally it shows as None in the Last Database Backup field if the database has never been backed up!

Are there any entries in the msdb..backupset table for your db?

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
    David Edwards - Media lens[/url]

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
    Howard Zinn

• Does the following query show it's being backed up?

select bs.database_name, bs.backup_start_date, bs.description, bmf.physical_device_name

from msdb.dbo.backupset bs

join msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily bmf

on bs.media_set_id=bmf.media_set_id

order by 1, 2

• Does this sql shows your db has been backed up?

SELECT a.Name AS DatabaseName,

COALESCE(CONVERT(VARCHAR(12), MAX(b.backup_finish_date), 101),'-') AS LastBackUpTime

FROM sys.sysdatabases a

LEFT OUTER JOIN msdb.dbo.backupset b ON b.database_name = a.name

where a.Name = 'your db NAME'

group by a.Name

• Yes it shows that it is being backed up but not to a physical location. Instead I get something like this

{1E63C7F9-E947-42C9-8733-8C166C58B9C4}9

Where as when I have actually backed the db up it has the bak in the physical location.

• Sounds like there may be a 3rd party backup program running, and taking backups of your DBs.

Where I work, we use CommVault for backups, and it uses a "virtual device" with a name similar to what you're seeing for the destinations. Maybe check with the network / system admins, find out if they're doing something similar.

• I would think that is possible, but I know my machine does not have any backup stuff beyond iron mountain. That strictly backs up my document directory. This is a local SQL 2008R2 developer version. When my machine starts some backup is done. It goes to a logical drive (lacking a better word for it). When I do a manual backup it goes to a physical drive. I can see that in the queries you have supplied. That guid is unusable. If I try and restore off of it I get File location error saying the file does not exist.

database_namephysical_device_name

TheDb{1E63C7F9-E947-42C9-8733-8C166C58B9C4}8

TheDB C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.SQL2K8R2\MSSQL\Backup\TestingtheDB.bak

• I went into my local current log and found this

Date12/18/2013 8:54:41 AM

LogSQL Server (Current - 12/18/2013 10:43:00 AM)

SourceBackup

Database backed up. Database: USINITIAL_752, creation date(time): 2013/12/17(13:44:49), pages dumped: 20402, first LSN: 189:621:37, last LSN: 189:639:1, number of dump devices: 1, device information: (FILE=1, TYPE=VIRTUAL_DEVICE: {'{485DDB89-0A7C-40B9-8F76-0CF4205B4C11}8'}). This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

I am thinking it has to do with my VMWare. I guess potentially it is trying to do a backup on startup of the machine. I have disabled all the services and will see if tomorrow it tries to do a backup.

• It looks like it was the VMware doing the backup somehow. I am not sure how the 3rd party software is trying to backup my local DBs. I simply disabled the services and now my backup log is corrected.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply