DB Design

• Hi

I am planning for New Database Design. The major scope of this project is storing and viewing the documents of the clients. I will like to have your valuable suggestions for Database design like tables to maintain and other related suggestions.

Thanks in Advance

• vyas (11/4/2008)

Hi

I am planning for New Database Design. The major scope of this project is storing and viewing the documents of the clients. I will like to have your valuable suggestions for Database design like tables to maintain and other related suggestions.

Thanks in Advance

Follow this link: may be it will helpful to you

http://www.sqlteam.com/article/database-design-and-modeling-fundamentals

kshitij kumar
    kshitij@krayknot.com
    www.krayknot.com

• vyas (11/4/2008)

You are describing your new project as a librarian project, is that correct?... no OLTP no DSS?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Yup there will not be any OLTP and DSS.

• vyas (11/4/2008)

Yup there will not be any OLTP and DSS.

If this is the case I suppose you would be concerned about indexing and searching; are you sure a search appliance like Google's doesn't solve your issue?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • The main scope of this project is

1) The documents(Can be of any type and can be of no of pages is scanned,stored document type wise/department wise)

2) The users can be able to retrive from the UI the scanned document from web.

So I would like to know no of tables and table structures,fk,pk and table relations to be created for this db design.

• You really need to collect more information about a project before trying to start a design.

Some things to think about are: the number of documents, the format you want to store them, are users accessing over a LAN or a WAN, appropriate search times, archiving windows, forms of data entry, etc.

If this is a system of any size, the cost of bringing in an architect to help you design the database and application would probably be insignificant compared to the cost of starting with a bad design.

• vyas (11/4/2008)

So I would like to know no of tables and table structures,fk,pk and table relations to be created for this db design.

mmmhhh...

On one hand please note I volunteer my time to answer specific questions. I don't mean to be rude but I'm not going to do your job; you are getting paid to do it, isn't it?

On the other hand as previous poster said you do not have enough information to do anything yet.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply