DB backup fails for 10gb database - destination remote USB drive

• I have a Maint Plan which does a full backup nightly for about 30 DBs in one instance. All backups complete successfully except for two which are each 8 - 10 GB in size.

Error log indicates "112(There is not enough space on the disk.)" The destination for the backup is a removable USB drive on a remote server. The USB drive has about 850GB free.

-It doesn't appear to be a connectivity issue because all the other DB backups are successful.

-When I run the backup TSQL (same from the maint plan error log) I get the same error

-When I run the backup TSQL and change the destination to a local share (which only has about 30GB free) the backup is successful.

-I have also moved the tempdb data files to a share which has about 120GB free thinking that the local drive was initating the "not enough disk space" error. This did not resolve the issue.

Any advice is appreciated...

Thanks,

Nick

• What happens when you backup to the network server, but use an internal volume instead of USB?

What is the largest database size that does work sucessfully?

• Please don't double post. It fragments answers.

Continue replies here.

• Edit: Nevermind

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply