DB Auditing tool...

• We are in the process of researching db auditing tools. We mainly use Oracle and Sql Server. It would ideal to find one that works for both, but, is not essential. So, I thought I would ask the experts here. Do any of you have recommendations on what software to use or what to stay away from?

The main things we could like monitored/controlled are:

security

transaction on certain tables

updates to the server

We are currently running server side traces on the sql server side to capture this information.

One of our considerations is DB Audit from Softree Technologies.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Happy Friday. 🙂

• I had used Audit DB from Lumigent a few years ago and it was a nice consolidated application at the time.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Does these tools track who and when

1. updated table

2. updated column

3. any alter to any objects

4. reading a database (would like to know last usage of the db(read)

5. deleted object

6.logged in

etc..

• by the way are there any tools from Quest or Redgate for this purpose?

• Not sure about Quest or RedGate in this market. I do know that Idera has a solution that I recently reviewed a bit which seems to cover all that you mention.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• But i think Idera is very much expensive when comapred to Apex, right?

• That could be true. I haven't looked at the Apex stuff in a while so I can't really speak intelligently about that. Sorry...

David

@SQLTentmaker

• At a previous employer, I had external auditors impressed with Idera's tools. I'm not sure how they compare cost wise to other companies, but I have a feeling they are on the high side.

Tim

• I wouldnt use DB audit if it was just for SQL Server. However, as you are looking at Oracle auditing as well, DB Audit fits the bill nicely as it covers both.

It had been in place for several years at my last place and did the trick. SOX audits were passed because of it.

• What about MS SQL Server "Change, Audit, Capture"?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply