Datetime data migration.

• Hi All,

We are loading data from one of our source table in that table createddate column datatype is char(22)  and value is 2012-06-03 04:11:49:16. And in my target table the column datatype is datetime and we are using convert datetime function to convert char to datetime. But the date is converting to 2012-06-03 04:11:49:016. we have to load same value-2012-06-03 04:11:49:16 in target table also. Please suggest on this.

Thanks,

• You've discovered the hard way why it's not a good idea to store dates in a char column.  That's not a criticism of you - I'm sure it's not your design!

Having three colons in your date isn't a valid format - at least not one that I've seen before.  I don't know why it converts to a seemingly arbitrary value (on my computer it ends .017).  But what you need to do is swap the last ":" for a "." where you have three colons, and then they will convert correctly.

John

• the best I can suggest is reverse the string, do a charindex for the first colon :   then you know if there are only 2 digits for milliseconds

if it's 2, then add 0 the then end of the original string

MVDBA

• It seems that if you simply add a '0' to the end of your string, it converts correctly

DECLARE @charDateTime char(22) = '2012-06-03 04:11:49:16';

SELECT CONVERT(datetime, @charDateTime+'0', 121)
  • John Mitchell-245523 wrote:

You've discovered the hard way why it's not a good idea to store dates in a char column.  That's not a criticism of you - I'm sure it's not your design!

Having three colons in your date isn't a valid format - at least not one that I've seen before.  I don't know why it converts to a seemingly arbitrary value (on my computer it ends .017).  But what you need to do is swap the last ":" for a "." where you have three colons, and then they will convert correctly.

John

It would appear that the hh:mi:ss:mmm is the European default time format.

CAST and CONVERT (Transact-SQL) See style 113 and 114

• You could try converting to a datetime2 data type - on my machine that produces the leading zero:

declare     @dt varchar(30) = '2012-06-03 04:11:49:16'

select @dt = replace(@dt,'-','')

select @dt

select TRY_CAST(@dt as datetime2)

select TRY_CAST(@dt as datetime)
  • Ian

unless i misread the original post (I've done that a lot) , they want a trailing zero not a leading zero

MVDBA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply