Dates changed by backup/restore

• Hi All.

This is a strange one, but feels like it should have a very simple explanation.  Bear in mind that I am in the UK, with different date formats to the US.

Production and development servers are running sql 2000, 8.00.760

A backup is taken from the production server - one of the records has a date of 8 December 2004.

When restored to the dev server, that date becomes 12 August 2004.

Now, first time that happened i got the dba to check and he found that the Locality on the prod server was UK, but on dev it was US.  so, got him to change the locality on the dev server and re-restore the database, and the same problem has occurred.  (i cannot be sure that he rebooted the dev server, is this required for a locatility change to take effect ?)

If a date is like 17 march it is fine, but wherever it has the chance to misinterpret the date it does so ; 3 april becomes 4 march. 

I should point out that this isnt just a display issue - converting the datetime to a double returns different numbers to the production server.

Does anyone know where this problem is occurring ?

Thanks

Dan, Jersey (old, not 'noo' !)

• ok, that seems to be fixed now.

just for the benefit of anyone who finds this in the future, the problem was actually resolved by either of the following ;

1 a reboot after changing the regional setting, or

2 not using the dba's restore script (which i havent seen yet) but using point and click in enterprise manager.

peculiar, but i will certainly not be blase about restores between servers from now on.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply