Date weighting

• I have an ask to come up with a strategy to shows Sales data weighted by dates differently.

We currently have a FactSales table with a grain of one row per sales revenue amount per order, and separate DimDate and DimTime dimensions. There is also a DimBusinessUnit for each entity within the organization.

In DimDate we flag the major holidays so we know reduced sales revenue may be expected. The ask is that different business units might have slow days. Monday's might be slow in one business unit, and Friday's slow in another.

Ultimately this probably be reflected as a projected sales amount in a calculated measure.

How can I best capture this weighting? Does it belong in the Date dimension, Business Unit dimension, or maybe a degenerate dimension in the Fact table, or something else altogether?

• From your description it sounds like the weight will be by Business Unit & Date. If that is the case, I'd most likely opt for a reference table with that information, and then using that to populate an attribute in your fact table as that is already at the desired grain.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply