Date range queries

• I am trying to design a report that allows users to select dates ranges, such as weekly, monthly, quarterly, anually, etc. However I'd like to have some ideas of how a query would be written if I am going to sum values for a quarterly period. I have a table that contains each day of the year for the next 3 years and a a table that contains values for each one of those days. Any help or comments are appreciated.

• The easiest way is to define a @FromDate and a @ToDate parameter in your proc so you have solved your problem.

Of cours you will have to define in your frontend application what @FromDate and @ToDate should be.

And if you put a clustered index on your date column than the query will perform quite quickly.

Gabor

Bye
    Gabor

• 

CREATE PROC dbo.GetBasedOnDateRange
    @Start SMALLDATETIME
    , @End SMALLDATETIME
    AS
    BEGIN
    --
    SELECT FieldList, SUM(YourValueField)
    FROM TableList
    WHERE YourDateField BETWEEN @Start AND @End
    GROUP BY FieldList
    --
    END
    GO

Hope this gets you started...

• thanks for your comments. Jay i think this give me a good start, i think I am on the right track...

thanks again

• Basically useful advice, however from experience I would add the following reccomendations.

1. To ensure the correct query plan is used for your SP, I would pass the date range parameters initially into the SP as type char or varchar.

Then specifically CAST these to local datetime variables to ensure no parameter-sniffing issues.

Also, note that if you do not include a Time portion of the date parameter it will default to midnight and you may not include rows on your range you would expect to.

I always add 1 day (as no records exist in our system between 20:00 and 08:00) to the @ToDate parameter (or if your application is up 24hrs then add 23:59:59.997). This will guarantee it will include all records on the date you specify, not just those on this date with a time of 00:00.

Stu

Edited by - trekart on 08/11/2003 4:23:31 PM

Edited by - trekart on 08/11/2003 4:24:59 PM

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply