DAte Function

• Any idea why the first query (the one with the parameters) shows a Query cost (relative to the batch): 100%, and the second 0% ? The difference narrows slightly as the duration increases (at 200 years it is 79% / 21%). If anything, I would have guessed that the second query would have the greater query cost.

declare @d1 date = cast(dateadd(yy, -1, getdate()) as date), @d2 date = cast(getdate() as date)

select dd.date from dimDate dd

where dd.date between @d1 and @d2

select dd.date from dimDate dd

where dd.date between cast(dateadd(yy, -1, getdate()) as date) and cast(getdate() as date)

Both use a clustered index seek.

Don Simpson

I'm not sure about Heisenberg.

• My guess (someone else might confirm it) is that the first needs to create a safe plan while the other one can create an optimized plan. The use of variables mean that any value can be entered, while the functions have a defined range and any change to the code will generate a different plan.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Could the 'safe' plan that incurs a higher cost be helped by updating statistics?

----------------------------------------------------

• MMartin1 (1/28/2015)

Could the 'safe' plan that incurs a higher cost be helped by updating statistics?

It could, but it won't be the same as the optimal plan.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply