Date difference between 2 versions of SQL Server 2k5

• On one system 32 Bit system I inherited this code ran without issue;

select DATEADD(day, 1, '15/7/2010 9:39:17:42')

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4053.00 (Intel X86) May 26 2009 14:24:20 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

However on a new 64 bit system using the following build it fails with this error;

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4230.00 (X64) Jul 30 2009 13:42:21 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

The conversion of a varchar data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range value

Why is this occuring between the two systems? I know what the SQL error referrers to but I don't want to change the code without understanding the underlying differences between the systems.

Thanks

• Its to do with how your client connects to the server.

The date format looks like its changing from DDMM to MMDD.

Try this page http://www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_datetime.asp

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Yes, you 100% correct.

So short of changing the application by putting

set language british at the start of each query what would be the permanent solution?

• No ,

the permanent solution is to use a language neutral format.

So 'YYYYMMDD HH:MM:SS'

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Change the Default language setting, of the account used to run the queries, to "British English".

• Yes it would have been much easier if however built the app using a date neutral format.

Changing the user language makes no difference I'm afraid.

Judging by this thread it seems very hard to change the language of the server install

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=62891

• It made no difference? Hmmm... It should do. I've just run exactly your query with the language set to each of the two options, English or British English, to make sure and it worked. You do have to disconnect the account from the database and then reconnect for the change to take effect. Thereafter all dates should be interpretted as British dates when the account runs a query, without the need to use the set language T SQL.

• OK I'll give it a go shortly. Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply