Date Calendar - Current Qtr

• Hi,

I have a Date calendar table which has a range of dates between 01/01/2000 to 31/12/2050.

It current has various Flag fields like Current Day, Previous Day, Month To Date where they will show a 1 or 0 where it is set to 1 if condition is matched.

I want to add a field "Current Qtr" flag but not sure what use as a condition? So for the example below, this is what I am doing to get the Flags for CurrentDayFlag and PreviousDayFlag :

Declare @TodaysDate Date 
    Declare @CurrentYear int

Set @TodaysDate = GETDATE()
    --Set @TodaysDate = '2018-12-30 00:00:00.000'

Set @YesterdayDate = DATEADD(D,-1,@TodaysDate)
    Set @CurrentYear = YEAR(@TodaysDate)

Select
    case when convert(date,c.DateKey) = @TodaysDate THEN 1 ELSE 0 END as CurrentDay
    ,case when convert(date,c.DateKey) = @YesterdayDate THEN 1 ELSE 0 END as PreviousDay

FROM
    dbo.Calendar c

So at time of writing this todays date = 23rd May 2019, so the for the row on the table dbo.Calendar where they DateKey = '2019-05-23 00:00:00' the field CurrentDay will show as 1 and the field PreviousDay will be 0, for the DateKey = '2019-05-22 00:00:00' the field CurrentDay will show as 0 and the field PreviousDay will be 1

For the CurrentQtr which is based on the Calendar Year:

Months

Jan, Feb, Mar = Qtr 1

Apr, May, Jun = Qtr 2

Jul, Aug, Sep = Qtr 3

Oct, Nov, Dec= Qtr 4

As Today's date is in the Month of May I want the CurrentQtr field set to 1 for the dates between 01/04/2019 and 30/06/2019 and all the other dates to be set to 0 as they don't meet the condition.

Thanks

Thanks

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  SQL_Kills.
  • Something like this?

CASE WHEN 
    DATEPART(QUARTER,c.DateKey) = DATEPART(QUARTER,@TodaysDate)
    AND
    YEAR(c.DateKey) = YEAR(@TodaysDate)
    THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  nigel..
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  nigel.. Reason: Better formatting
  • Thanks Nigel, This seems to work. What would need to be done for Previous Qtr, so the dates between 01/01/2019 to 31/03/2019 they would be set to 1 for this field

• Actually I think I've got it now, I have done the following

case when DATEPART(QUARTER,c.DateKey)+1 = DATEPART(QUARTER,@TodaysDate) AND YEAR(c.DateKey) = YEAR(@TodaysDate) THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
  • Ah, but that won't work if the current quarter is Quarter 1 (due to the year comparison)

Looking into alternatives...

• Try doing  something with this :

DATEDIFF(MONTH,0,c.DateKey)/3 - DATEDIFF(MONTH,0,@TodaysDate)/3

• Hi Nigel, No it does not work either

• This was the query I made if that is what you meant.

case when (DATEDIFF(MONTH,0,c.DateKey)/3 - DATEDIFF(MONTH,0,@TodaysDate)/3 = DATEPART(QUARTER,@TodaysDate)) THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
  • The calc I suggested will give you an offset in quarters from the 'DateKey' , so:

0 = current quarter

-1 = Previous quarter

1=Next

etc.

(Hint: try it in a select statement just to see what it does)

• You're overlooking the obvious.  There is a QUARTER date part.  This becomes simple if you use that.

CASE WHEN DATEDIFF(QUARTER, c.DATEKEY, @TodaysDate) = 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS CurrentQuarter,
    CASE WHEN DATEDIFF(QUARTER, c.DATEKEY, @TodaysDate) = 1 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS PrevQuarter

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Ah, yes of course. Doh! 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply