Datawarehouse Design Requirement

• Need help for the following requirement

Suppose that i have some OLAP Cube with measures for n dimensions. There is a requirement to attach footnotes to all the object that made up the cube - the cube itself, dimension, hierarquies, levels, members and even measures.

I´ve been looking at both the ADO and DSO Object Model and find no way of attaching such a propertie to the OLAP base model defined my Microsoft.

I´ve seen that there is some information on an annotations collumn which is available as a schema rowset for Cubes, dimensions, hierarquies and members (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/oledb/htm/olapannotations.asp) via OLEDB for OLAP (but not available from ADOMD and DSO).

Also Analysis services deliver an Action Facility to run an aspx application (which could in turn be used to access this collumn).

How can these be done ?

I've not been able to access the schema rowset as defined (the properties delivered are onlyt those available from ADOMD which the annotations collumn does not belong) . As another choice , is there a way to design some "meta-repository" database which fulfiils the requirement to attach footnotes and relate this new databse whith the OLAP model (via GUID of objects ?)

Thank's in adavnce

• For the Action, check the tutorial that came with Analysis Services. Part 3 (Advanced Analysis) Create an action.

Open a cube in the cube editor and execute 'New Action'. You will get a wizard that guides you through the whole process.

If you could give more information on what you want to accomplish exactly, we might be able to give some more detailed pointers.

• I've used the action wizard.

My main problem is

1) How do i deliver to an end user the possibility to define actions outside the analysis services itself?

2) how can i access the annotations column ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply