Databases on SSD

• Does anyone have any experience with putting databases/T-Logs on SSD's? We are playing with the idea of testing some different scenarios but I am looking for input from anyone who has actually done this.

Thanks

Steve Jimmo
    Sr DBA
    “If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

• sjimmo (3/7/2012)

Does anyone have any experience with putting databases/T-Logs on SSD's? We are playing with the idea of testing some different scenarios but I am looking for input from anyone who has actually done this.

Thanks

We are experimenting with it as well. Another topic had some pretty good insight from people basically saying to make sure it is an enterprise SSD. We have had some initial problems with the entire server rebooting when SQL Server service stops (making it very hard to install SP1 which is the fix for that). Of course, different vendors will have their own problems.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• the entire server rebooting when SQL Server service stops

What is your drive configuration to cause this?

Steve Jimmo
    Sr DBA
    “If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

• Its a driver issue with the card. We purchased a set-up where the SSDs are mounted directly to the PCIe cards. It is configured as a RAID 5-0. It is not the configuration of the drives, though. It was a problem with the "beta" driver for the card. Pick a better company than we did. I don't know the company name, but the ONLY driver available is the "beta." That's what happens when operations makes the final decision of affordable test hardware 😉

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Check out this thread.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Tony Rogerson has been playing a lot with commodity SSD kit recently

http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson/default.aspx

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Thanks for the info/links. It definitely was an eye opener after listening to HP and their puppets.

Steve Jimmo
    Sr DBA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply