Database variable with USE command

• Hello Team,

I need one help here .

I am preparing one Stored proc for different object access. I am taking database name as variable @db

now I want to use the database provided in SP input as

USE @db in stored procedure. I cannot pass database name as it will be different everytime as per user requirement.

Any help will be appreciated.

Sagar Sonawane
    ** Every DBA has his day!!:cool:

• is it accessing metadata, like sys.tables and stuff,so you KNOW the object sit access exist in ALL databases, or is it assuming that specific tables exist int he database you want to pass?

the reason I ask, is if it's for getting metadata, there's a neat technique for that; you put the proc in master, mark it as a system object, and the implicit or explicit database context will filter rows to be related to the current database.

If it's the other way, where you assume objects like dbo.CustomerList exists, i'd probably just hard code it. that way i eliminate errors where i apss in an invalid database.

it's undoubtedly going to have permissions issues for normal users, so i'd use execute as owner or execute as login='superman' to resolve permissions;

You could use dynamic SQL to just execute against the right table or proc as well...

DECLARE @cmd varchar(max) = 'SELECT * FROM ' + @dbname + '.dbo.CustomerList;'

EXEC(@cmd)

IF OBJECT_ID('[dbo].[sp_show]') IS NOT NULL

DROP PROCEDURE [dbo].[sp_show]

GO

--#################################################################################################

--developer utility function added by Lowell, used in SQL Server Management Studio

--Purpose: Preview top 100 rows of a given table

--additional modification: fast count of rows if a TABLE or #Temp (no results on views)

--#################################################################################################

CREATE PROCEDURE sp_show

--USAGE: sp_show gmact

@TblName VARCHAR(128),

@Top INT = 100

--WITH ENCRYPTION

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @cmd VARCHAR(MAX)

IF LEFT(@TblName,1) = '#'

BEGIN

SELECT

ps.row_count AS TotalRows

FROM tempdb.sys.indexes AS i

INNER JOIN tempdb.sys.objects AS o

ON i.OBJECT_ID = o.OBJECT_ID

INNER JOIN tempdb.sys.dm_db_partition_stats AS ps

ON i.OBJECT_ID = ps.OBJECT_ID

AND i.index_id = ps.index_id

WHERE i.index_id < 2

AND o.is_ms_shipped = 0

AND o.object_id = OBJECT_ID('tempdb.dbo.' + RTRIM(@TblName)) ;

END

ELSE

BEGIN

SELECT

ps.row_count AS TotalRows

FROM sys.indexes AS i

INNER JOIN sys.objects AS o

ON i.OBJECT_ID = o.OBJECT_ID

INNER JOIN sys.dm_db_partition_stats AS ps

ON i.OBJECT_ID = ps.OBJECT_ID

AND i.index_id = ps.index_id

WHERE i.index_id < 2

AND o.is_ms_shipped = 0

AND o.object_id = OBJECT_ID(RTRIM(@TblName)) ;

END

SET @cmd = 'SELECT TOP ' + CONVERT(VARCHAR,@Top) + ' * FROM ' + QUOTENAME(@TblName) + ' ORDER BY 1 DESC '

EXEC(@cmd)

END

GO

--Mark as a system object

EXECUTE sp_ms_marksystemobject '[dbo].[sp_show]'

CREATE PROC example(@dbname sysname)

WITH EXECUTE AS OWNER

AS

IF @dbname='Google'

SELECT * FROM Google.dbo.CustomerList

IF @dbname='Yahoo'

SELECT * FROM Yahoo.dbo.CustomerList

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Look into dynamic SQL. That's how you pass database/table/field values into SQL statements.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply