Database Tuning Advisor broken

• Before I say anything else let me just acknowledge that DTA isn't the best or most liked tool out there, but I have been asked to use it so I did, well sort of......

But it's broken - each time I use it, it churns away for anything up to an hour and then stops with an error message about it exiting unexpectedly. No other details than that! I've made sure it's not hitting a time limit in the options tab before starting it.

I've run the SQL Profiler (which does work) and captured the trace results to a database table (I did also try log files but this didn't change anything) which I use as the load for the DTA to consume.

The DTA starts and then some time later stops with the error either during Submitting Configuration Information (most often) or during Consuming Workload.

I asked Google and found a Microsoft hotfix for 2012 SP1 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2728419) which documents this error but even after applying this patch I still get the error.

Does anyone know what's going on? Am I doing something fundementally wrong? This is a possibility as I have no previous experience of this tool, however, I have successfully used it on a 2008 R2 box so can't think that what I'm doing is flawed, but I'm happy to be corrected if that is the case.

Thanks in advance

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

• Hi, I have the same problem.... 🙁 and i have cu 4 installed.

• Please check whether login privileges are sufficient enough to run it and for information collection

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply