Database transfer question

• I have a database which is having 300 tables. Among 300 tables I need to transfer 50 tables to new server. Some of the tables contain more than 10000000 records. SSIS package and import and export wizard I tried, But was unsuccessful with transaction log errors. I searched in google the best approach to take back up of the Db and restore to server where you want. What is the best approach to go about and if want to restore db. Is it possible to take only 50 tables as back up please advice

• Backup the entire DB (you can't back up specific tables), restore and drop the ones you don't need.

10 million rows isn't that large.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Break apart the transactions so that they're smaller. Only move chunks of the data in order to make the transaction size smaller. There are a number of different documents online showing how to do this. Look for paging functions or similar.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Like Gail stated. The easiest way is to backup the db and restore it into the new SQL Server. Then just drop the tables you don't need.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply