Database Team and Defining System requirements

• Just curious out there. When designing a new system, how typical is it that the database team needs to build, code, test, and maintain a database AND actually design the user/system requirements.  Obviously, a db team needs to understand the system, it's requirements, rules, etc.  But does a db team typically actually create UI requirements too?  Wouldn't that be an odd scenario and potentially not a good idea?

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• I don't think DB team should create/control/define UI requirements.

The DB team might advise on UI, both from the perspective of guidance based on the data, and for warnings when a requested design might be too expensive from the database perspective.

• It really depends on the size of the team - and the knowledge and ability of all team members.  I see no reason to limit a "DBA" from developing if they have the skill and ability to do so - regardless of what is being developed.

I also find this is the same attitude that we normally see - just in reverse.  The idea that a UI developer cannot and should not develop database code because that is for the DBA's is missing out on valuable limited resources.

With that said, if you have a DBA who is not doing their normal day to day work - and instead is working on UI design, or a developer who is supposed to be working on UI but is spending all their time doing database development - that would be a problem.

But to say one cannot work in either area because of their title - nah, I don't agree.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply