Database Status SUSPECT

• Hmm - I don't see anything at all harsh in what I said - hi - please- thanks.

What are you taking as harsh Robert? I believe you're mistaking directness and brevity for harshness - and on a data corruption forum it is of paramount importance that replies are technically accurate and as unambiguous as possible.

As many people who post on these forums are not experienced DBAs who know the differences between the versions, I consider it a real disservice when people post solutions for the wrong version that will have the topic starter wasting time and getting confused.

One of the biggest problems with using public forums is when you get incorrect advice - which is why I've always strived to point out when things are wrong.

You said that most things that work on SS2000 also work on SS2005 - when you're talking about dealing with corruption that's *not* the case at all - I/we put a lot of new features into SS2005 and recovery steps and root-cause diagnosis can now be quite different.

Thanks

Paul Randal
    CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
    Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
    SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

• I've never seen Paul harsh. Always professional, always out there helping with very knowledgable advice. When dealing with corruption or other severe issues, I want sound, direct advice on how to get my issue resolved. Often, this is when time is of the essence. Now if I was asking a coding issue, I can do without the hand holding to get my desired results (although I always take it if offered:)). Rather than specifics, I'm usually looking for "best practice" suggestions or "Hey dummy, why are you making it so flipping complicated", not necessarily exact, functional code. But again, when major issues have arisen, I want pointed, ACCURATE assistance usually as quickly as possible. Thanks to Paul and Gail (and countless others), more often than not, that's what I get when I post.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• My apologies, Paul.

It indeed wasn't harsh.

I first read this:

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/backup-and-recovery/pop-rivett-and-the-suspect-database/

That would be a bit useful if they were on SS2000, but they're not. Please check which forum you're in before posting inappropriate links - thanks!

I didn't like it. Then I read this:

Hi Dinesh - please check the forum you're posting in - this is a 2005 forum so your procedure above for SQL 2000 doesn't work on 2005.

Though it has 'please' word, at first look it was like the first quote - politely saying 'you idiot....' 🙂

Sorry.

• No worries - no offense taken (ever) - I'm very thick-skinned.

Cheers

Paul Randal
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

• thanks,

I was able to recover my corrupted database!

VP

• And this means what to a topic that has been dormant for 9 months? Care to shed any light on the issues you had and how you corrected them?

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Hi Paul,

I have a similiar situation only worse, the corruption is so bad id causes a fatal error and shuts down sql server so I can't set the database into emergency mode to correct. Do you know how to fit this error:

SQL Server is terminating because of fatal exception c0000005. This error may be caused by an unhandled Win32 or C++ exception, or by an access violation encountered during exception handling. Check the SQL error log for any related stack dumps or messages. This exception forces SQL Server to shutdown. To recover from this error, restart the server (unless SQLAgent is configured to auto restart).

The error logs have a stack dump and indicate that a particular database is corrupt. I have tried to start sql server manually using sqlservr.exe -m -s instancename but I get this msg: 'your sql server installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with ...'

Thank you,

Steve -

• Please post new questions in a new thread and include as much detail as possible, including any errors that you get as well as the stack dump, what causes the stack dump and any details in the SQL error log.

That said, if you have stack dumps and the SQL service terminating due to them, it may be worth calling Microsoft's customer support, especially if this is an urgent problem.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • c0000005 is the code for an AV (access violation - commonly occurs when something is corrupt and causes a reference to an invalid piece of memory). Is this happening in the master database?

Paul Randal

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply