Database Space Usage Tips

• Hi all,

Another general question. The database server which I am currently administering, is running on a machine which has two hard drives. The C drive hosts the operating system and any applications, while the D drive is being used for the database server.

The C drive is currently unusable for database storage as the space is already too low.

On the D drive, we currently are looking at under 10% space remaining.

I have plans in place to free up some space, such that we'll be at exactly 10% remaining space. However, this is a temporary solution, as the space usage increases daily.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to deal with situations like this. I've looked into removing unnecessary files off the drive, that's already been done. Within the database, I've cleared unnecessary tables, stored procedures, etc... as well as removed unnecessary indexes.

• How about transaction logs? Any databases running in Full recovery, are the logs getting backed up?

Do you run backups onto the D drive or somewhere else?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Backups are currently being made to an off-machine drive - that was one of the first things that I did. The transaction logs use SIMPLE as their type.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply